Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alistair Jenkins 92 posts 315 karma points
    Jan 19, 2018 @ 16:05
    Alistair Jenkins

Cant log in to backend of cloned dev site

In Visual Studio 2017, using NuGet, I have installed Umbraco 7.6.3 in an empty project, built it successfully, then opened default.aspx in a browser and followed the installation steps, successfully installing Umbraco and been able to log in and out of the back end ok.

In an effort to turn this installation of Umbraco into a clone of a solution I already had in Visual Studio I copied across the site specific files and folders from that installation, overwriting any duplicate files. I changed the connection string in web.config to point to a clone of the database used by the other installation. I then opened default.aspx again. I see the backend login screen at the url:

http://localhost:50863/umbraco/AuthorizeUpgrade?redir=%2finstall%2f%3fredir%3dtrue%26url%3dhttp%253a%252f%252flocalhost%253a50863%252fdefault.aspx#/AuthorizeUpgrade?redir=%2Finstall%2F%3Fredir%3Dtrue%26url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252flocalhost%253a50863%252fdefault.aspx

But when I enter the username and password that I know to be correct. I get a login failed message. If I try to use the forgotten password link and put in my email address then I am told that my password reset request failed.

Am I going about this the wrong way? What do I need to do to get this up and running? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alistair

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 19, 2018 @ 16:57
    Nik

Hi Alistair,

Was this site on a different machine originally? What version of Umbraco was the site originally built in? Are you getting any errors in the Umbraco Log?

Thanks,

Nik

Jan 26, 2018 @ 09:49
    Alistair Jenkins

Hi Nik,

Thanks for the reply (I'm only in once a week hence the time lag).

The site was originally built on Azure, but I've had it running in VS as a complete clone of the site. The problem I had was that I got errors when I tried to build the site before deploying it to a local server. Hence why I'm trying this approach. The original was on 7.6.3 which is why I chose that build to install in this solution.

I can't see anything in the Umbraco log that appears to relate to the login difficulties.

Cheers, Alistair

• Mark 91 posts -18 karma points
    Jan 19, 2018 @ 17:19
    Mark

Take a look in the database and see if you locked yourself out. If you haven't and you want to reset the password simply set your web.config mail settings to write mail to a local holder, run your project and request a new password.

Jan 26, 2018 @ 10:06
    Alistair Jenkins

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I tried this I still get:

Request password reset failed for email [email protected]

Cheers, Alistair

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Jan 25, 2018 @ 12:17
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Alistair,

Have you tried https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umbraco-admin-reset/?

Simple project that allows reset of the admin user(user 0) username and password by adding the UmbracoAdminReset.dll to the ~/bin folder of your Umbraco installation. Handy when you inherit a site and didn't receive the credentials.

Username will be reset to Admin and password to Admin1234!

Its only 29% compatible with version 7.6.x but it may get you in...

Thanks

Paul

Jan 26, 2018 @ 10:34
    Alistair Jenkins

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I still get login failed when I try this.

Cheers, Alistair

Jan 26, 2018 @ 11:58
    Alistair Jenkins

BTW, also tried resetting the password in the database using

UPDATE umbracoUser set userdisabled=0, userPassword='b30d7365d6e8fb35666d7234eb463d80da126f40' where id=0;

(the hash is for 'password'), but that didn't work.

Jan 26, 2018 @ 13:54
    Alistair Jenkins

Finally figured it out. Found this in web.config:

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="" />

Changing it to

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.6.3" />

meant that when I opened default.aspx I got the website rather than the login screen.

Updating the smtp settings in web.config to use the same as on the live site, ie to use our sendgrid account, meant that although I still got login failed when I tried to log in to the backend, the reset password option now worked. I was able to reset and get in.

Probably should have figured that out sooner but there you go.

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Jan 26, 2018 @ 14:04
    Paul Griffiths

Hi,

Glad you solved it - I had something similar with this thread i raised https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/89891-the-xml-cache-is-corrupt-use-the-health-check-data-integrity-dashboard-to-fix-it.

I Should have remembered that.

Thanks Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft