Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Himasnhu K 17 posts 86 karma points
    Jan 19, 2018 @ 10:47
    Himasnhu K

SDF and SQL installation of umbraco

what is difference between sdf and SQL installation of umbraco. what are benefit and limitations of installation umbraco using sdf database.

is any problem in future to proceed with SDF database installation of umbraco.

any help appreciated?

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jan 19, 2018 @ 11:29
    Steve Morgan

Hi Himasnhu,

General rule I follow is SQL CE is not suitable for production Umbraco sites. Useful for a quick spin up of an Umbraco instance to test something but use SQL Express / Full SQL for production - this means it's usually easier just to start a new project off with SQL Express.

If you've already started dev in CE it's possible to migrate - some google searching will bring up the solution.

If there's anyone out there that does use CE for production I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

Steve

Jan 19, 2018 @ 13:25
    Himasnhu K

Thanks for Reply Steve , but we are also waiting for another opinions and response from another users and support Staff.

Also can you let me know if we are using small website with lots of media items should it suitable for us?

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 19, 2018 @ 14:16
    Søren Kottal

SQLCE is a lot slower (but luckily, that only shows in the backoffice), and somehow prone to errors by corruption. I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than "your moms website".

Jan 20, 2018 @ 10:27
    Himasnhu K

Thanks Kottal ...

So, should we consider that SQL Express /Server Installation of umbraco is best for website design?

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 20, 2018 @ 15:43
    Søren Kottal

Yes, no doubt about that :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft