Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luc van Soest 6 posts 115 karma points
    Jan 10, 2018 @ 14:59
    Luc van Soest

MediaSection doesn't delete files physically from server

If I delete an image from the MediaSection and then deleted it from the Recycle bin, the file still exists on the server. Tested on version 7.6.4 and 7.7.8.

I checked the log for System.IO errors, but there are no errors.

Is this behaviour by design?

I have an Umbraco website with a large amount of photo albums with a total of over 10.000 images which are updated/deleted regularly. Because of this behaviour/bug I have thousands of unused folders in the Media-directory which take up a lot of space and causing storage problems.

• Luc van Soest 6 posts 115 karma points
    Jan 10, 2018 @ 15:05
    Luc van Soest

So I just found this thread https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/80884-delete-unused-images-from-media-folder

I can use the F.A.L.M. Housekeeping package to cleanup my media folder but I'm still wondering if this behaviour is by design?

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Jan 10, 2018 @ 16:41
    John Bergman

I've seen it where it doesn't delete the folder most of the time. As far as the image, for me it has been hit or miss... some of the media gets physically removed, some done.

• Nawaz 21 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 24, 2018 @ 12:24
    Nawaz

When you delete a media item it goes into the recycle bin, so it's still physically on the server and can be accessed by anyone who has the direct URL.

To completely delete it you need to delete it from the bin. You can delete a specific item or can empty the all the items in the bin.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft