Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alistair Jenkins 92 posts 315 karma points
    Dec 08, 2017 @ 12:03
    Alistair Jenkins

Create local instance of Azure website - advice please.

Hi,

I have, I admit, done things the wrong way round and created an Umbraco installation on Azure, developed multiple websites on that installation and only just decided I want a local instance for further development purposes.

Given that that's where I am, does anyone have any advice for how to go about achieving this? I have tried installing Visual Studio Community 2017 and MS SQL Server 2017 Developer and while I can connect to Azure with Visual Studio I don't seem to be able to work out how to view the installation, much less copy it down to my PC (something which I my searches seem to suggest isn't possible with Visual Studio).

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Alistair

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2017 @ 14:03
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Alistair

Did you try to download all files via ftp? As I know you can download a backup of the database from Azure also.

Thanks,

Alex

Dec 15, 2017 @ 14:54
    Alistair Jenkins

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm so long in my reply, I'm only in once a week.

In the end, I did download the site files by ftp and also got a .bacpac of the database and installed that in SQL Server. I trhen added the local website as a solution in Visual Studio and also connected to the database via the server explorer. According to advice I got elsewhere this should have worked but now when I try to browse to the site url listed in the web site properties in Visual Studio I get the following message:

This site can’t be reached
    localhost refused to connect.
    Search Google for localhost 49246
    ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

and I can't work out how to fix it.

Dec 15, 2017 @ 14:56
    Alex Skrypnyk

Show please your connection string?

Dec 15, 2017 @ 15:18
    Alistair Jenkins

Do you mean the database connection string? But this appears to be connected ok in visual studio server explorer. Here it is anyway, as listed in the database properties in server explorer:

Data Source=CVN-WIN10-AL;Initial Catalog=cvnsitesdb;Integrated Security=True

And if the problem was connection to the database, wouldn't I get to browse to the website but then be greeted by the YSOD ?

Dec 15, 2017 @ 15:39
    Alex Skrypnyk

connection should be to local database

Dec 15, 2017 @ 15:43
    Alistair Jenkins

It is. CVN-WIN10-AL is my PC. cvnsitesdb is the name of the database being served by SQL Server on that PC. Given that, how should I be wording the connection string? Differently from this?

In any case I can't edit this connection string, as far as I can see it is created by Visual Studio when you follow their wizard for connection to the database.

Dec 15, 2017 @ 15:52
    Alistair Jenkins

It is. CVN-WIN10-AL is my PC. cvnsitesdb is the database served on that PC by SQL Server. Given that, should the string be worded differently?

In any case, I don't think I can edit the connection string. It appear to be set up by Visual Studio when I use their wizard to connect to the database.

Dec 15, 2017 @ 15:35
    Alistair Jenkins

And here's the one in Web.config, if that's the one you meant:

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Server=CVN-WIN10-AL;Database=cvnsitesdb;User ID=CVN\alistair;Password=*******" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

with *s instead of the password.

Dec 15, 2017 @ 15:35
    Alex Skrypnyk

I don't know, it looks like wrong connection.

Dec 15, 2017 @ 15:36
    Alistair Jenkins

Really? Which one does, and in what way?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft