Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ivan 165 posts 543 karma points
    Nov 17, 2017 @ 12:44
    Ivan

Does Umbraco 7.7 support concurrent users?

Say, we have multiple users editing same document in parallel. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

For example, disabling the document from being editing if there's already another editor changes content.

• Ben Palmer 176 posts 842 karma points c-trib
    Nov 17, 2017 @ 13:05
    Ben Palmer

There's nothing out-of-the-box for this I'm afraid. Might be worth a search on the package repository as I'm sure I've seen a package for this - the name escapes me however.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 17, 2017 @ 13:11
    Dan Diplo

Older versions of Umbraco used to have this as a feature, but it's no longer in Umbraco. Probably because it's a rather old-fashioned way of doing things and often results in more issues than it solves (ie. editor locks document for editing, forgets, document locked in perpetuity).

Umbraco deals with this with versioning. So if Editor A and Editor B are editing the same document and then A published then B published a little later, then the last publish wins (ie. B). But Umbraco stores the version history, so editor's A's content isn't lost and can be rolled-back.

You can also use permissions to limit certain sections to just one user, so only Editor B can access certain pages.

In practice, having built dozens of Umbraco sites, I've never seen an issue arising out of this. But I have had issues in older CMSs that do locking where people can't edit a document in an emergency because someone has had it locked and left it.

• Francis Benyah 35 posts 111 karma points
    Sep 21, 2021 @ 13:05
    Francis Benyah

Older versions had this feature as Dan mentioned.

I think as Umbraco is evolving some of these features are being dropped and it might make sense to drop them however these are the exact features that at least for me and in the part of the world I am in that brought attention to Umbraco as a viable competitor to other enterprise content management systems.

I think over time the focus on using umbraco for small to medium sized projects has been key and then enterprise side of things has fallen along the way.

I guess its a balancing act but this is definitely one of the big questions we have to dance around when proposing umbraco as a solution to enterprise projects

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft