Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sandy Drake 3 posts 73 karma points
    Nov 13, 2017 @ 09:37
    Sandy Drake

Problem running Umbraco on server

I have just started working with Umbraco and things were going great while I was running the Umbraco project directly from Visual Studio using IIS Express. However I'm having an awful time trying to get things running on a server.

To keep things simple I have created an empty installation of Umbraco which I have just moved to a server. It seemed to be fine and when I visited the URL I got the default Umbraco page. I logged in to Umbraco and created a homepage documenttype, template and added some content. (I followed the tutorial https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/tutorials/creating-basic-site/Creating-Your-First-Template-and-Content-Node just to be sure I was doing everything correctly).

Save and publish seemed to work fine and when I click Preview a new page opens for the preview but just hangs there with the timer circle going round and round.

The log file in app_data doesn't tell me anything more than the page was published.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 13, 2017 @ 09:48
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Sandy

It's hard to define what is the problem, did you transfer all templates to the server? If you publish the page and open it in the browser is it working?

Thanks

Alex

Nov 13, 2017 @ 10:00
    Sandy Drake

Hi Alex

Are you asking about the templates as created under settings? If so there should only be one and it was created on the server so didn't require transferring. Or are there other templates I should know about? Sorry I'm a total newbie...

The published page is not working in the browser and now if I try and visit the site url (where previously there was the default Umbraco page) I get an error - "this site can't be reached".

Thanks

Sandy

• Craig Mayers 164 posts 508 karma points
    Nov 13, 2017 @ 10:37
    Craig Mayers

Hi Sandy,

I think Alex means all the Umbraco files that come with each install.

Have you checked the permissions on the server? See the following link: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/install/permissions

Also, what version are you running?

Thanks

Craig

Nov 13, 2017 @ 11:49
    Sandy Drake

Hi Craig

Thanks for your suggestion, I am waiting for my hosting company to come back to me regarding the permissions on the server.

I'm running Umbraco v7.7.4.

As for the files that come with each install - I published the solution from Visual Studio, and then copied the published website over to the server. Should I be copying the entire VS project over to the server rather than the published website?

Thanks

Sandy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft