Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Francielle 65 posts 279 karma points
    Oct 18, 2017 @ 19:09
    Francielle

GetSections error after upgrade to 7.7.3

I upgraded my Umbraco 7.6.10 installation to Umbraco 7.7.3, but when I try to login to the CMS, I get this error on the console:

"/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Section/GetSections 500 (Internal Server Error)' and the menu inside the backoffice does not load:

enter image description here

There's also an error on the Log:

---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.Where[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
       at Umbraco.Web.Trees.LegacyTreeDataConverter.ConvertFromLegacy(String parentId, XmlTreeNode xmlTreeNode, UrlHelper urlHelper, String currentSection, FormDataCollection currentQueryStrings, Boolean isRoot)
       at Umbraco.Web.Trees.LegacyTreeDataConverter.ConvertFromLegacy(String parentId, XmlTree xmlTree, UrlHelper urlHelper, String currentSection, FormDataCollection currentQueryStrings)
       at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ApplicationTreeExtensions.TryLoadFromLegacyTree(ApplicationTree appTree, String id, FormDataCollection formCollection, UrlHelper urlHelper, String currentSection)
       at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ApplicationTreeController.<GetRootForSingleAppTree>d__2.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ApplicationTreeController.<GetApplicationTrees>d__0.MoveNext()<---

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Oct 19, 2017 @ 01:41
    Marcio Goularte

Hi, Fran. This happened to me. It was a custom section that I had, which gave migration trouble. The update broke the permissions when resetting for groups. I accessed the users section by url, removed the custom section from the groups, saved, and added again

Oct 19, 2017 @ 09:43
    Francielle

Hi Marcio, That's weird, because I don't have any custom section. The only thing that added a new menu item under Developer section for me was the package Diplo Audit.

I'll investigate a bit more.

• Henrik Bäck 12 posts 72 karma points
    Oct 19, 2017 @ 08:35
    Henrik Bäck

I have a similar problem, all sections are missing, but my stack trace is slightly different. I use Unity, and when I disable the registration of the Unity-container the backend works fine. I've upgraded from 7.6.10 as well.

I've followed the instructions in https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/using-ioc but can't get any further.

Any ideas?

System.AggregateException  at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
       at Umbraco.Web.Editors.SectionController.GetSections()
    …
    ---> Inner Exception: System.NullReferenceException at System.Object.GetType()
           at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ApplicationTreeExtensions.<TryGetRootNodeFromControllerTree>d__5.MoveNext()
        --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
           at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
           at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
           at Umbraco.Web.Trees.ApplicationTreeController.<GetRootForMultipleAppTree>d__1.MoveNext()
        --- End of stack trace from previous loc

Oct 19, 2017 @ 09:54
    Francielle

Hi Henrik,

Did you face any errors during the upgrade? I had some errors with the HealthCheck files and afterwards not being able to login to the cms, than I had to run the upgrade. I have a feeling that the upgrade actually was not successful (even if it finished), that's why there are these errors.

There's nothing special about my project, no custom sections or custom development, it is just an institutional website. That's why it is weird having these errors.

• Rune Antonsen 29 posts 145 karma points
    Oct 30, 2017 @ 14:36
    Rune Antonsen

Hi Henrik!
    Did you find a solution for this?
    I'm having the exact same issue.

Nov 01, 2017 @ 06:55
    Henrik Bäck

Hi Rune!

I have not solved this yet. Will look into this further on Friday.

Do you use Unity or AutoFac as well?

Nov 21, 2017 @ 09:53
    Henrik Bäck

Hi Rune, did you solve this?

I've spent the morning with this error and I've tried to remove Unity and set it up again as described here https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/reference/using-ioc

Same issue anyway. If I remove Unity, all works in Backend.

My UnityConfig looks like this...

public static void RegisterTypes(IUnityContainer container)
        {
            container.RegisterType<UmbracoContext>(
                new PerHttpRequestLifeTime(),
                new InjectionFactory(c => UmbracoContext.Current)
            );

container.RegisterTypes(AllClasses.FromLoadedAssemblies());
            container.RegisterTypes(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies().SelectMany(x => x.GetTypes()));
            container.RegisterType<LegacyTreeController>(new InjectionConstructor());

container.RegisterType<ISettingsProvider, UmbracoSettingsProvider>(new PerHttpRequestLifeTime());
            container.RegisterType<IMenuProvider, UmbracoMenuProvider>(new PerHttpRequestLifeTime());

}

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 24, 2018 @ 14:42
    Dirk De Grave

fwiw, if still struggling to get this working, just found out what needs changing to get it working with unity

container.RegisterType<UmbracoContext>(
            new HierarchicalLifetimeManager(),
            new InjectionFactory(c => UmbracoContext.Current));

container.RegisterType<HealthCheckController>(new InjectionConstructor());
        container.RegisterType<UserTreeController>(new InjectionConstructor());
        container.RegisterType<Umbraco.Web.Editors.UsersController>(new InjectionConstructor());

user section has changed quite a lot in v7.7.x, took me too much time to find out it's this specific part of the config that was failing

Oct 19, 2017 @ 10:06
    Francielle

I fixed my problem. On my /config/trees/config there were some custom sections added by packages Diplo.AuditLog and LeBlender and these were generating the error. Yesterday I had replaced the file, but it seems that it did not work. Today, I overwrote the file again with the one that comes in Umbraco's .zip and it worked.

• Aparna 11 posts 92 karma points
    Jul 31, 2019 @ 09:54
    Aparna

Thanks !! It worked for me.

• Anders Brohäll 295 posts 561 karma points c-trib
    Oct 24, 2017 @ 20:39
    Anders Brohäll

I'm having the same problem. No custom sections, and it works with everything except for the Users section. : /

I described my config here: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/88267-umbracowebeditorssectioncontrollergetsections-causes-exception-index-was-out-of-range#comment-280859

Did you guys solve it? (apart from Francielle) How?

• Anders Brohäll 295 posts 561 karma points c-trib
    Oct 24, 2017 @ 21:20
    Anders Brohäll

Turns out it was a Structure Map issue in our solution. All good now.

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Feb 22, 2018 @ 17:54
    Laurence Gillian

I've seen this error twice this week on two separate projects.

The first was resolved by adjusting the IoC, but the second project does not have any 'direct' IoC, however I'm pretty confident it may be due to some other packages.

Will see how far I can get with it, and post my findings.

There's quite a good thread on Issues, but I wasn't able to find anything of use.

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Feb 26, 2018 @ 16:11
    Laurence Gillian

I was able to resolve my issue, by correctly manually merging the following files:

trees.config
    application.config

• Martijn 2 posts 71 karma points
    Feb 27, 2018 @ 13:23
    Martijn

Can you share your config files? I am having this problem as well but changing my config files doesn't seem to fix it.

My config files look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <trees>
      <!--Content-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="content" application="content" title="Content" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add initialize="false" sortOrder="0" alias="contentRecycleBin" application="content" title="Recycle Bin" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.ContentRecycleBin, umbraco" />

<!--Media-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="media" application="media" title="Media" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.MediaTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add initialize="false" sortOrder="0" alias="mediaRecycleBin" application="media" title="Recycle Bin" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.MediaRecycleBin, umbraco" />

<!--Settings-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="documentTypes" application="settings" title="Document Types" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentTypeTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add application="settings" alias="templates" title="Templates" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.TemplatesTreeController, umbraco" initialize="true" sortOrder="1" />
      <add application="settings" alias="partialViews" title="Partial Views" silent="false" initialize="true" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.PartialViewsTreeController, umbraco" sortOrder="2" />
      <add application="settings" alias="stylesheets" title="Stylesheets" type="umbraco.loadStylesheets, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="3" />
      <add application="settings" alias="stylesheetProperty" title="Stylesheet Property" type="umbraco.loadStylesheetProperty, umbraco" iconClosed="" iconOpen="" initialize="false" sortOrder="0" />
      <add application="settings" alias="scripts" title="Scripts" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.ScriptTreeController, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="4" />
      <add application="settings" alias="languages" title="Languages" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.LanguageTreeController, umbraco" sortOrder="5" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="7" alias="mediaTypes" application="settings" title="Media Types" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.MediaTypeTreeController, umbraco" />

<!--Developer-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="packager" application="developer" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.PackagesTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="1" alias="dataTypes" application="developer" title="Data Types" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.DataTypeTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add application="developer" alias="macros" title="Macros" type="umbraco.loadMacros, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="2" />
      <add application="developer" alias="relationTypes" title="Relation Types" type="umbraco.loadRelationTypes, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="4" />
      <add application="developer" alias="xslt" title="XSLT Files" type="umbraco.loadXslt, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="5" />
      <add application="developer" alias="partialViewMacros" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.PartialViewMacrosTreeController, umbraco" silent="false" initialize="true" sortOrder="6" title="Partial View Macro Files" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" />

<!--Users-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="users" application="users" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.UserTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add application="users" alias="userTypes" title="User Types" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.UserTypes, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="1" />
      <add application="users" alias="userPermissions" title="User Permissions" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.UserPermissions, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="2" />

<!--Members-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="member" application="member" title="Members" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.MemberTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="1" alias="memberTypes" application="member" title="Member Types" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.MemberTypeTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add application="member" sortOrder="2" alias="memberGroups" title="Member Groups" type="umbraco.loadMemberGroups, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" />

<!--Translation-->
      <add application="translation" alias="dictionary" title="Dictionary" type="umbraco.loadDictionary, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="0" />
      <add silent="false" initialize="true" sortOrder="1" alias="openTasks" application="translation" title="Tasks assigned to you" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.loadOpenTasks, umbraco" />
      <add silent="false" initialize="true" sortOrder="2" alias="yourTasks" application="translation" title="Tasks created by you" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.loadYourTasks, umbraco" />

<!-- Custom -->
      <!--<add application="myApplication" alias="myTree" title="Me Tree" type="MyNamespace.myTree, MyAssembly"
           iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="10" />-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="8" alias="contentBlueprints" application="settings" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentBlueprintTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="2" alias="datasource" application="forms" title="Datasources" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Forms.Web.Trees.DataSourceTreeController, Umbraco.Forms.Web" />
      <add initialize="false" sortOrder="0" alias="emailTemplates" application="forms" title="Email Templates" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Forms.Web.Trees.EmailTemplateTreeController, Umbraco.Forms.Web" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="form" application="forms" title="Forms" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Forms.Web.Trees.FormTreeController, Umbraco.Forms.Web" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="3" alias="prevaluesource" application="forms" title="Prevalue sources" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Forms.Web.Trees.PreValueSourceTreeController, Umbraco.Forms.Web" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="3" alias="formsecurity" application="users" title="Forms Security" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Forms.Web.Trees.FormSecurityTreeController, Umbraco.Forms.Web" />
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="DataStore" application="DataStore" title="DataStore" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="W3S.DataStore.Models.Tree.DataStoreTreeController, DataStore" />
    </trees>

application.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <applications>
      <add alias="content" name="Content" icon="traycontent" sortOrder="0" />
      <add alias="media" name="Media" icon="traymedia" sortOrder="1" />
      <add alias="settings" name="Settings" icon="traysettings" sortOrder="2" />
      <add alias="developer" name="Developer" icon="traydeveloper" sortOrder="3" />
      <add alias="users" name="Users" icon="trayuser" sortOrder="4" />
      <add alias="member" name="Members" icon="traymember" sortOrder="5" />
      <add alias="translation" name="Translation" icon="traytranslation" sortOrder="7" />
      <add alias="GCS" name="GCS" icon="icon-binoculars" sortOrder="20" />
    </applications>

• Richard Hamilton 79 posts 169 karma points
    Mar 13, 2018 @ 11:51
    Richard Hamilton

What was the result?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft