Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Khalid Aziz 6 posts 96 karma points
    Oct 17, 2017 @ 21:25
    Khalid Aziz

Nested Content vs ListViews

In v7.7+ when is it a better idea to use Nested Content vs a Listview? Especially in the case when a content node is supposed to only host children of a single type?

• Kevin Jump 2309 posts 14673 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Oct 18, 2017 @ 10:53
    Kevin Jump

Hi

I guess the differences between list view / nested content in this case are :

• List view items will produce URLs for each of the nodes you create (1) - nested content items won't have their own url

• List view items will be included in the search indexes (by default) so will appear in search results (again pointing to the URL).(2)

• List items will be returned in any .Children() or .Descendants() type calls as they are full content nodes.

• Nested Content items will be returned only by getting the property - so can effectively be hidden from all of this.

So if you don't want the item to behave like a page in Umbraco use Nested Content, if you do use List Views.

(1) you can always create a blank template with a redirect top the parent page if you want list items but don't want them to render on their own page.

(2) you can make nested content appear in searches (i think!) but i suspect it needs a bit of configuration?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft