Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 18:03
    Meni

Install Umbraco locally with Visual Studio Code

Hi, I want to install Umbraco locally on my machine, but it seems that Web Matrix no longer available for downloading. Instead, they recommend to download Visual Studio Code. How then, I can install Umbraco locally? or, is there other simple way? Thanks

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 20:03
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Meni

My standard process is :

1. Create an empty MVC project in Visual Studio
    2. Use Nuget to install Umbraco -

If you have just one website project then you'd install "Umbraco CMS" Nuget package on that project

If you have other projects that need to reference Umbraco then you install the "Umbraco CMS Core" Nuget on those projects, just making sure the version numbers are consistent between the packages.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

• Simon C 1 post 72 karma points
    Jan 10, 2018 @ 12:32
    Simon C

Hi Everyone,

For anyone else reading this who doesn't want to install the full-blown-Visual Studio, but instead wants to use Visual Studio Code:

1. Go go https://our.umbraco.org/download/ and download the umbraco .zip file
    2. Extract the file to a location of your choice
    3. Download and install IIS Express (if not already installed in C:\Program Files\IIS or C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS)
    4. Download and install Microsoft Visual Studio Code
    5. Within VS Code, go to View, Extensions.
    6. Search for “IIS”
    7. Install “IIS Express” (by Warren Buckley)
    8. Click the “Reload” button in VS Code.
    9. When VS Code reopens, File, Open Folder - and choose the extracted location you chose earlier
    10. In VS Code, Press Ctrl+Shift+P type “IIS” and select “IIS Express: Start Website”
    11. Umbraco start screen will auto-open in your browser

(instructions above on my website too, if it helps)

Simon C, UK

• vennilasep22 21 posts 123 karma points
    Dec 06, 2019 @ 12:03
    vennilasep22

Hi, i did whatever the points you have mentioned, they won't asked the Database and all, its working fine with local system, when i moved these to files server, its shows an error, i doesn't know what i have do next phase. whether i have to build the file or change the web config, please let me know thanks.enter image description here

• Nadine Fisch 159 posts 429 karma points
    May 01, 2018 @ 11:21
    Nadine Fisch

Hi,

i followed your instructions, but I get a connection error:

cannot establish to localhost:36519

can you help me please?

Cheers, Nadine

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 01, 2018 @ 12:14
    Damiaan

Seems like your IIS express is not running.

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 01, 2018 @ 12:14
    Damiaan

Have you tried the procedure as described in the documentation? https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/install-umbraco-with-vs-code

May 01, 2018 @ 18:31
    Nadine Fisch

yes, I think so. How can I start IIE express? I used CTRL+F5 and also CTRL+ Shift+P + IIS: Express Start Website"

Nothing seems to work

May 02, 2018 @ 06:24
    Nadine Fisch

It is working now, I deleted the whole config-folder in

C:\Users\{user}\Documents\IISExpress\config

then I exectued IISexpress in the IISExpress-Folder

C:\Program Files\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe

Then I restarted my website wihin Visual Studio Code

CTRL+ SHIFT+P + RESTART WEBSITE

I thought IIEExpress is started automatically with the last command

• Sowndar M 50 posts 124 karma points
    Jun 29, 2018 @ 03:43
    Sowndar M

Project is working fine I can't see the build or rebuild option in visual studio code. How to do it ?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 29, 2018 @ 04:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sowndar

You can't build the project using visual studio code out of the box. However you can launch the project using VS code but that's not the same thing as doing a full build of the codebase. If you need to compile some controller logic in your project for instance.

But in order to get the site running using Visual Studio code you will need to install IIS express, which is also stated in the documentation Damiaan linked to earlier in this thread here https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/install-umbraco-with-vs-code - Once that is done make sure to open up your project int he "umbraco root" folder and hit ctrl+f5 - That should do the trick :)

VS Code is excellent for editing views and html, css and JavaScript out of the box and it's awesome because it can easily be modified using packages to make a developers life much easier.

But if you need compile the project then that will require installation of some extra packages and further configuration, which you can learn more about here https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/csharp.

I will suggest though that you consider downloading visual studio community edition, which a full featured IDE and therefore also heavier in terms of size of course but then you get all the features you need to build etc. out of the box. This is also free and you can download it here https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/

/Jan

• George 32 posts 65 karma points
    Aug 08, 2019 @ 07:44
    George

My advice is "don't"!

Full blown Visual Studio has got bloated and flaky, and for that reason I love VS Code (when working on .NET Core projects).

However, with traditional ASP.NET MVC (non Core), which of course Umbraco is, it's very far from a proper IDE. In this situation the intellisense is very poor and the debugging in lacking.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic editor - just one that's designed for Core, not traditional .NET.

Until Umbraco is .NET Core I would leave VS Code well alone!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft