Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 15:04
    blackhawk

Is it possible to edit content nodes from the file level?

With Umbraco 7.6.5, it is possible to edit a content node from the file level? What I mean is if I have an existing content node in Umbraco (which I normally edit in BackOffice), can I instead open visual studio and edit that same content node text value?

Or is this not possible?

When I attempt to edit a content node value in .../app_data/umbraco.config, I am able to edit that file, but my changes never show at that browser level.

Thanks!

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 15:14
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Blackhawk

It's not possible, all content is storing in the database, you have to open database and edit content there.

The content isn't storing on file system.

Thanks,

Alex

Sep 14, 2017 @ 16:06
    blackhawk

so if I have something that should be modified from the file level, make sure it's directly placed on a template?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 16:24
    Nicholas Westby

To clarify, the content is actually stored on the file system, sort of. That is, it is primarily stored in the database. Umbraco also generates an XML file that is a cached version of that content and stores that XML file to the file system.

Umbraco also caches that XML file in memory. You could edit the XML file and you may be able to get Umbraco to update its in-memory version of that XML, but it would be a bad idea, as the XML file will get updated next time somebody publishes content (which would delete your change).

so if I have something that should be modified from the file level, make sure it's directly placed on a template?

That really depends on the sort of thing that you are storing. Putting it directly in a template is one option. A configuration file is another option. A separate text file is another option.

I'd be curious what sort of thing needs to be edited at the file level.

Sep 14, 2017 @ 16:50
    blackhawk

Awesome feedback and thanks!

The scenario in my case involes 50,000+ users refreshing their browser waiting for something new to post in the web (i.e. opening registration form for an event).

What inexpensive and/ or smart things can I do to allow that page to smoothly transition regardless of having that many people accessing the site at one time?

That's my issue I hope Umbraco can solve in some fashion.

I originally figured editing a file at the file level would be a lot smoother that pushing publish on a web browser during the customer chaos.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 17:24
    Nicholas Westby

50K is quite a lot of simultaneous users. Hopefully you have some sort of strategy for dealing with that in general (e.g., optimized code, load balancing, scaling, tons of caching, configuring IIS to allow more queued requests, and so on).

Sounds like you just need to toggle a boolean. You could store it on the content node, and a publish wouldn't cause things to slow down for too long (maybe a second, or more, depending on the amount of content in your site). Assuming you've got some sensible caching, the site should become responsive again very quickly after the publish.

If you need to make updates without Umbraco updating it's XML cache, you might consider something like UI-O-Matic, which stores data in the database and does not impact the XML cache (see here).

You might consider using something like Rhythm.Caching.Core to add an application-level cache to avoid unnecessary database hits. FYI, UI-O-Matic has some events you can use to then invalidate that cache when changes are made.

Sep 14, 2017 @ 17:55
    blackhawk

hehe - It happens once a year with this big venue. Thanks for the tips!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft