Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pete ThSplendiferous 1 post 71 karma points
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 12:08
    Pete ThSplendiferous

Migrating site to new instance

I have been handed the job of upgrading an intranet site because I'm in dev. The current site is running under umbraco 6 and I am told it is corrupted. I have umbraco 7 running on visual studio 2015 on my machine. I am required to migrate the site to my machine, make sure it runs, check it in, let the boss pull it and check it and finally publish it.

How may I extract the page designs, content and custom code from the (possibly) corrupt version 6 live site and import it into the version 7 site running on my machine please?

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 12:34
    Ayo Adesina

This is not a trivial task.

You are not only upgrading Umbraco but you are potentially trying to do it with out the source code.

I don't think your going to be able to get the content from your 6 site and just put it in to the 7 site.

If you only have the live site you should download the files have a look around and see how much of the code has been complied in to DLLs, you might be lucky and find some of the source .cs files in the app_code data, but that all depends on how the site was built and how complicated it is.

If it is a pretty simple site, I would create a new umbraco 7 instance, and recreate all the document types and templates, reusing any HTML razor files you can find if you download the live site.

If it is a really complex site lots of custom code, extensions to umbraco etc etc you are going to have a very difficult job without the source code....as in the Visual Studio solution.

Good luck.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 12:35
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Pete

The best way is to upgrade Umbraco version 6 to Umbraco 7.

Please have a look at these links:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/general

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/version-specific

Thanks,

Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft