Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Amri 214 posts 740 karma points
    Aug 08, 2017 @ 07:03
    David Amri

Package working but not shown in installed packages

Hi,

I'm confused about this. I have the Virtual Node package installed on my installation.

The package seems to do it's thing and removing the url from all of my virtual nodes. But the package is not referenced in the view of "installed packages". When viewing the installed packages view there are no installed packages.

Is this because I have the Virtual Node .dll file in the file tree of my VS solution?

Cheers David

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 08, 2017 @ 07:16
    David Brendel

Hi David,

have you installed the package via Nuget or via the Umbraco package? Most NuGet installs don't show up under installed packages as the internal package installer is not used.

Regards David

Aug 08, 2017 @ 07:39
    David Amri

Hi David,

Hmm, I think initially it was installed via Umbraco. Can't find it in my installed nuget packages. But I think the dll file was added later to the solution because of source control. When the package was installed on my local setup my co-worker did not get the package when pulling the latest version.

I read on some blog post that by adding the dll file it was easier to version control the package.

Thanks David

Aug 08, 2017 @ 07:59
    David Brendel

Do you use the same DB?

As it could also be that the DB stuff is not shared. If you use version control you have to add package dlls in the solution, otherwise, you would have to reinstall it everytime you check out your source initially.

So my guess would be that the DB is not shared. Also Umbraco stores some information of installed packages in a file located under App_Data/packages/installedPackages.config. Maybe that is also ignored by your version control system.

Regards David

Aug 08, 2017 @ 08:05
    David Amri

Quite right, the DB is not shared. When pushing the DB is left out. The installedPackages.config file is how ever added to source control.

Regards David

Aug 08, 2017 @ 08:29
    David Amri

If the package dll file is included and the config file aswell, could there potentially be any issues? Even if the package is working but not showing in the installed package view?

Regards David

Aug 08, 2017 @ 10:14
    David Brendel

Hi David,

don't think that it will cause any issues. As said the most nuget packages are also not shown there.

Depending on which package you use it could be that the DB is not updated. Some create custom tables in the dll on startup. Some use the installer of the umbraco package.

So it depends on what package you use.

Regards David

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft