Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 02, 2017 @ 17:29
    Nik

Hi Guys,

So I'm pre-empting a little bit here as I'm yet to try it. But after reading the blog and watching the demo video, I have a couple of questions relating to v7.7.

My biggest question is how does v7.7 handle a site that already has the non-core Nested Content as part of it? Recent versions of Nested Content introduced Inner-Content as a requirement which is also a requirement for Stacked Content. Does the Core now have a requirement on Inner-Content or has it incorporated this into the core at all?

Is it possible to migrate from Plugin Nested Content to Core Nested Content easily?

Cheers :-)

Nik

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Aug 02, 2017 @ 18:56
    Fuji Kusaka

Never thought about that but very interesting one.

We have a few nested content running on 7.6.4 and with coming 7.7 how will the upgrade handle this ?

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Aug 21, 2017 @ 23:30
    John Bergman

Looks like we could be about 10 days away from the 7.7 release; does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Aug 22, 2017 @ 04:40
    Fuji Kusaka

So far it works fine after the upgrade to 7.6.5.

Am guessing it will be easier to upgrade a project installed with Nuget with the Package Console.

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 22, 2017 @ 06:29
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Nik,

the best way of course is to try it out on your site, but during the Umbraco Retreat the persons that are working on this part they presented that it was possible to upgrade.

I think it was just as with the content pickers in 7.6. If you're using Nested Content as a package/plugin it will still work, and you could potentially upgrade to the Core version. But if you want to create a new Nested Content-datatype you could only select the new picker.

I think that they did at really good job, but the only way to find out for sure is to try to upgrade your testing enviromnent (and after that share your learnings in this post ;))

Regards, Jeffrey

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 22, 2017 @ 07:40
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Nik,

Here's the video for our post-CG retreat updates:

https://vimeo.com/221715154 (my bit about Nested Content is 24 mins in)

In a nutshell, yes, you can totally swap over from using the package version of NC to the core version of it. The only gotcha is that in the data-type options, when you change the property-editor dropdown, it wipes out all of the prevalues. So they'd need to be repopulated. (Unless if you wanted to manipulate the db tables directly?)

All NC content remains intact, (as long as the data-type prevalues match up).

It is also worth saying that the package version and core version can happily live side-by-side.

As for the Stacked Content/Inner Content question... those are totally separate from Nested Content - they don't share any of the same code. Inner Content is not in the core. I appreciate the naming of these packages could be misleading.

Hope this helps clear things up?

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 22, 2017 @ 07:50
    Lee Kelleher

For those who are happy with direct database manipulation... you could try this...

UPDATE
        cmsDataType
    SET
        propertyEditorAlias = 'Umbraco.NestedContent'
    WHERE
        propertyEditorAlias = 'Our.Umbraco.NestedContent'
    ;

PLEASE NOTE: This comes without any warranty. Make sure you backup your database beforehand, yadda, yadda.

Aug 22, 2017 @ 10:04
    Fuji Kusaka

Thanks for sharing Jeffrey & Lee.

Will try upgrading and see how things go.

Jan 30, 2018 @ 14:15
    Fuji Kusaka

Brilliant it works for me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft