Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anja 13 posts 118 karma points
    Jul 21, 2017 @ 10:32
    Anja

Confused about data storage

Hello,

i am a bit confused about data storage. Recently I imported some data from another source and it all worked fine (Logged a data insertion and recreated this for my import data).

Looking over the data I noticed a format problem and thought "hey, let's do this the easy way and correct it via SQL on the database".

I updated cmsContentXml, cmsPreviewXml and cmsPropertyData ... no effect. Searching for where the data came from I found that \App_Data\umbraco.config contained this data and no changes on the database had any effect.

Editing one node from the backoffice pulls the data from the database and saves it. Showing all nodes only the just edited is based on this data, all others are pulled from the config.

How many redundant stores are there? How can I trigger Umbraco to use the database each and every time?

• Tobias Klika 101 posts 570 karma points c-trib
    Jul 21, 2017 @ 10:49
    Tobias Klika

A redundant cache? Well, a cache caches data. Therefore it's per se redundant, that's the goal.

In fact the XML file is the content cache used by Umbraco so it doesn't need to query the DB all the time.

You can disable it with XmlCacheEnabled in UmbracoSettings, see here. However, this is not recommended, why would you ever want to do this?

It has just become a problem for you because you tried fixing data directly in the DB - which seems to be the easiest way, but probably never is if you are using a CMS and/or framework.

For your problem to get resolved, remove the App_Data/umbraco.config file and recycle your app pool (so it gets out of memory, just in case).

For the future: Update your content with the ContentService and use the built-in services to clear the cache, in case something's stuck. And try not to touch the core DB tables by hand.

Here is an article about how content caching works in Umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft