Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Jul 18, 2017 @ 10:33
    J

Is Umbraco resource hungry?

We have some php devs and .Net devs (so essentially its Umbraco vs Wordpress). We always have a debate on which platform to use especially on very small websites.

A small website is simply a few pages but one page is heavy with blog usage.

Wordpress devs claim Umbraco is heavy for a few pages as it requires more memory, CPU, disk space especially if the site is heavily used.

How does WP compare against Umbraco? IF the above is true is there an option to customise Umbraco so that it could be used on small sites or is Umbraco targeted for medium/large sites?

• David Hutson 48 posts 379 karma points
    Jul 18, 2017 @ 10:51
    David Hutson

Hi J

I think if the site you are after building is heavily blog based then using an appropriate tool like WordPress is probably best. However, umbraco does support blogging using the Articulate package or you can build something custom.

In terms of resource usage depending on hosting budget I would stick it on Umbraco Cloud then you don't need to worry about it as they cover you.

If you are trying to run it on a shoe string then I have set up sites with both SQL CE and Sql express on shared hosting packages and it worked fine but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than a hobby site. With SqlCE you will hit some limits on concurrent connections I believe its 256 and a limit of 4GB in database size.

With regards to usage benchmarking there is very little imperical evidence but this article seems pretty solid https://stefantsov.com/umbraco-7-mvc-performance/ but it is a bit old (2014).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft