Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bh 408 posts 1395 karma points
    Jul 17, 2017 @ 18:35
    bh

I hope you can help me determine, if I'm setting my project up correctly. A little background I come from a .NET webforms world. My plan is to setup a "MasterPage" template (that has everything for my header and footer in it, and all of the dependencies needed for a page). Then my plan is to have a "Page" template (with "MasterPage" as it's Master Template). Now this is where I'm a little uncertain...

I have about 20 +/- content layouts lets call them "Building Blocks" that I can apply to a "Page". A "Page" would need to be able to hold multiple "Building Blocks". My thought is to setup a template for each one of these "Building Blocks".

In summary: MasterPage > Page (1:1) Page > Building Blocks (1:many)

Where MasterPage, Page and Building Blocks are all setup as Umbraco templates.

Is this logic sound?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 17, 2017 @ 20:58
    Nicholas Westby

I'm guessing these "building blocks" are widgets. If so, I'd recommend this approach: http://skrift.io/articles/archive/building-umbraco-websites-with-archetype-widgets-and-ditto/

In short, you create a single type of page, and a single document type (well, you can create multiple document types if you want to use ContentTemplates to set default widgets for certain types of pages).

You can use Archetype or you can use Nested Content. Each of these plugins offers a very similar approach to building widgets. The advantage is that you don't have to create a bunch of nested content nodes; all the data is right on the page (which is faster for content editors).

Jul 21, 2017 @ 19:02
    bh

@NicholasWestby I found out the hard way that Nested Content doesn't support image cropper or file upload. Which is a killer for me.

I first considered using a media picker, and after about 5 seconds of messing with that realized I needed to go back to the drawing board.

Now I'm trying to use Archetype, but it appears to not be compatible with Umbraco 7.6.4 When I go to add properties to my archetype, the config section looks to be off.

enter image description here

Any suggestions?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 21, 2017 @ 19:54
    Nicholas Westby

That's weird, Archetype works fine for me in Umbraco 7.6.4. Perhaps your install is missing files for some reason? Did you install with NuGet (that's how I installed it)?

FYI, I don't use image cropper in the content section. I add image cropper to the Image media type, then from the content section I pick those images with a media picker. Not sure if that's an option for you or not. Here's what my image media type looks like:

Image Media Type

BTW, to figure out that Archetype error, start by looking at the browser debug console, and the error log in ~/App_Data/Logs/.

Jul 25, 2017 @ 16:22
    bh

@NicholasWestby this may be faux pas (and in that event I apologize), but could I ask you to take a look at this forum thread. I think you might know the answer...

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/templates-partial-views-and-macros//87073-how-to-render-nested-content-widget-on-page#comment-276094

Jul 18, 2017 @ 14:01
    bh

@NicholasWestby thank you! I think I'm going to give Nested Content a try. Looks to be a shorter learning curve for me. The Archetype looks like it may be more robust, but it looks to be a bit more involved. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft