Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pnr 131 posts 226 karma points
    Jun 26, 2017 @ 08:01
    pnr

Template error after upgrading to 7.6.3

I have upgraded Umbraco from 7.2.8 to 7.6.3, almost everything seems to work like it should, but when i try to access a template in Umbraco --> settings --> Templates I get the error below (If I create a new Template, I get the same error):

There is already an open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first.

Line 153:

" Line 155: params="<%# DoesMacroHaveSettings(DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.id").ToString()) %>"> Line 156: <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.macroName")%> Line 157:

Source File: d:\Websites\dab-bes.incomit.dk\umbraco\Settings\editTemplate.aspx Line: 155

[InvalidOperationException: There is already an open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first.] System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.ValidateConnectionForExecute(SqlCommand command) +6548689 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ValidateCommand(String method, Boolean async) +301 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite) +151 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +104 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar() +270 umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteScalar(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) +434 umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper1.ExecuteScalar(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +149

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteScalar] umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteScalar(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +437 umbraco.cms.presentation.settings.editTemplate.DoesMacroHaveSettings(String macroId) +123 ASP.umbracosettingsedittemplateaspx.DataBindcontrol5(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\Websites\dab-bes.incomit.dk\umbraco\Settings\editTemplate.aspx:155 System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +304 System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() +12397447 System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +321 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) +183 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +659 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +164 umbraco.cms.presentation.settings.editTemplate.LoadMacros() +147 umbraco.cms.presentation.settings.editTemplate.PageLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1137 umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +19 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3178

What to do?

Thanks very much in advance :-)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 26, 2017 @ 08:06
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Pnr

Did you merge trees.config correctly?

Please, check "trees.config", it looks like it has wrong configuration.

Thanks,

Alex

Jun 26, 2017 @ 09:39
    pnr

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for your reply :-)

I have tried using the tree.config that is shipped with 7.6.3, but I get the samme error :-/

Any other idears?

Jun 26, 2017 @ 12:04
    pnr

I am using webforms for templates (masterpages), and if i create a new templates, it is creating af new masterpage under the folder "Views" :-/

Jun 26, 2017 @ 12:07
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi PNR

What defaultRenderingEngine is set in umbracoSettings.config? Can you check, please?

Set the defaultRenderingEngine to Mvc (instead of WebForms)

Thanks,

Alex

Jun 26, 2017 @ 12:08
    pnr

Hi Alex

Thanks for your reply :-)

I am using webforms, and the solution is build on webforms, so I would think that the right setting is webforms?

Jun 26, 2017 @ 12:09
    Alex Skrypnyk

You are right, sorry, my mistake.

Jun 27, 2017 @ 06:10
    pnr

The problem is that Umbraco is not supporting webforms (masterpages) from version 7.6 :-/

I think that it is a major change, so they could have mention that in the release note. We are using MVC for all newer implementations, but we have a lots of old solutions that is still using WebForms.

• Tom 713 posts 954 karma points
    Sep 19, 2017 @ 04:27
    Tom

I have exactly the same problems. Did you manage to find a resolution?

It also saves master files in the Views folder.. Even with WebForms as the config setting

Sep 19, 2017 @ 05:25
    pnr

Hi Tom

When i create a new template it is created in the Views folder as a cshtml, so i move it to the masterpage folder and rename it to a master page, and the it is working find. But the template can not be edited in Umbraco!

/Peter

Sep 20, 2017 @ 10:20
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi

You can't edit master pages in backoffice anymore -

Make sure to read carefully: editing webforms templates from the backoffice of Umbraco is no longer supported. That's all.

WebForms still work for everything. You've done a major upgrade, you can expect to have to make some code adjustments to make your current code work again. In the 4 years between 6.1.6 and 7.6.0 a lot has happened. Also make sure to go to 7.6.4 as there's numerous bugs fixed since 7.6.0.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-9993?preventRedirect=true

• Dimitris Chrysomallis 23 posts 137 karma points
    Nov 02, 2018 @ 11:30
    Dimitris Chrysomallis

So, in our case we have this set of masterpages that we need to migrate from version 4. We are tasked with redesigning just the front end on a new version? Our plan is to move all masterpages, usercontrols (+macros) and xslts to the latest 7 version. Then re-make the masterpages with new front-end goodness. Do you have any suggestion how we go about doing this? Thanks

Nov 05, 2018 @ 08:46
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Dimitris

In the perfect world, the best way is to rewrite all masterpages, XSLT, and usercontrols to Razor scripts. Especially it makes sense because you have to redesign it in any case,

Alex

• Dimitris Chrysomallis 23 posts 137 karma points
    Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:08
    Dimitris Chrysomallis

Hi Alex, Yes, I agree. It makes sense. Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft