Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anders 13 posts 133 karma points
    Jun 19, 2017 @ 19:45
    Anders

Guide to publishing / deploying umbraco site

Hi All :)

I have created a local umbraco site with Visual Studio, and now I am having some challenges publishing / deploying the site.

The local solution is build on a CE SQL, and I have a domain at Unoeuro.com with a MS SQL database.

Have any of you guys found a good simple Guide?

I guess it's not just a few clicks to deploy.

I found a lot of other posts regarding the same problem, but I haven't been able to find a post with a good up-to-date solution.

• emma burstow 43 posts 251 karma points MVP 3x hq c-trib
    Jun 21, 2017 @ 14:12
    emma burstow

Hi there,

I really struggled deploying my first umbraco site and spent a long old time googling. This guide, elsewhere in the forum helped me the most though.

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/46540-How-to-install-Umbraco-700-on-GoDaddy-Plesk-Hosting

It was for Plesk, which I was using, but plenty of what he describes would (I assume) need to happen for other platforms too, such as the permissions settings on particular folders.

I also needed to convert the db from SQL CE to MySQL for the hosting - I used an online tool for that and I was quite surprised when it really worked.

I hope this helps, a lot of it was fumbling for me. If you do find a better resource, do point me in the right direction!

Emma

• Brett Fullam 119 posts 629 karma points
    Jun 21, 2017 @ 14:34
    Brett Fullam

Hi Anders,

This video by Paul Seal, another umbraco developer who's actually quite active in this forum, did it for me ... here's a video where he shows you step by step how to publish and then deploy the site using an umbraco site as his specific example:

"How to deploy an ASP.NET website using Umbraco as an example" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAq9NC0rp7U

I highly recommend you check out his blog and youtube channel ... lots of good Umbraco information.

I also had to convert my database from SQL CE to SQL ... took me a while to find out how to do it, but it's relatively simple and you can do it right inside of Visual Studio too. I can share this method with you if you need it too.

• emma burstow 43 posts 251 karma points MVP 3x hq c-trib
    Jun 21, 2017 @ 14:38
    emma burstow

I've just had a good read of your post about converting the DB! Thanks for the tip off - I'll subscribe to Paul's channel. #h5yr

Em

• Anders 13 posts 133 karma points
    Jun 24, 2017 @ 17:32
    Anders

Hi Emma and Brett

Thank you for answering my question.

I tried to convert from SQL CE to MS SQL, but I didn't have any succes with it, so I ended up making a whole new project, where I used the MS SQL database from start.

It actually turned out, that it made it much easier to publish my project. I just went into Build -> Publish Project Name -> Typed in the connection settings from my hosting provider, and filled the Destination Connection String (using the wizard in Visual Studio). Bang, and it worked like a charm !

So from now on, I'm definitely going to use MS SQL on future projects.

Btw it took me 2 hours making a new project, based on the old one. Reused the views, and copy pasted a lot.

Thanks for the about: http://www.codeshare.co.uk/ He made a lot of good stuff !

Thanks again, both of you ! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft