Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• david 36 posts 180 karma points
    May 19, 2017 @ 05:49
    david

I was searching for "best .net cms" "umbraco is better than" "umbraco is not mature" "umbraco roadmap" etc etc

and i see there are these cms which were comparable against each other

DNN, sitefinity, umbraco, orchard and kentico all are good fit for content based website

nopcommerce is hands down the best website for ecommerce

vienna advantage is a very good candidate for ERP

mixerp/frapid is the best for opensource .net ERP framework https://github.com/frapid

are there any alternate to these which are better than this? there is a comparison by feature (2016) is there any progress on umbraco v7.x and planned for v8 enter image description here

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2017 @ 06:41
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi David,

I don't know who made this comparison (looking at the amount of green checks i would say a Kentico fan), but it is certainly not accurate.

Umbraco has tons of addons that supply a lot of this functionality. And IMHO the strength of Umbraco is that you have the implement features like you want, exactly meeting client requirements, instead of using a pre build function that you need to tweak, if even possible.

Dave

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 19, 2017 @ 08:33
    David Brendel

Hi David,

as Dave said I would also think that this comparison was made by a Kentico Fan.

Most of the stuff I think is available through packages or can be done manually on point in regards to the client needs. That is the strength of Umbraco.

So just for example: E-Commerce: Merchello, uCommerce, TeaCommerce

Google Maps: a lot of different ones like Teratyp and GridMaps and other

Google Analytics: connection has to be build by hand but there's one which shows the analysis in the backend

Newsletters: Newsletter Studio

SEO Tools: SeoChecker and others

Blogs: Articulate

Forums: Dialogue

Event Management: EventCalendar

Regards David

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    May 19, 2017 @ 15:52
    Jonathan Richards

Google Maps: a lot of different ones like Teratyp and GridMaps and other

I hang my head in shame, I've failed again. I called it Terratype so that it was unique in github/nuget etc. The old package was called AngularGoogleMaps and nobody could remember that name either.

Thats it, I'm gonna do a round of very expensive TV ads in all territories and then you've all will be sorry.

:)

May 19, 2017 @ 15:56
    David Brendel

Hi Jonathan,

in fact that was a typo by me. So don't be too hard to yourself. :)

Regards David

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    May 19, 2017 @ 09:49
    Simon Justesen

Someone should do a bloated Umbraco Ultra Enterprise editon with all those packages that David Brendel mentions to put that comparison list to shame ;-)

More seriously though, I think new users/site developers need more guidance in what packages to install.

May 19, 2017 @ 10:06
    david

i agree, a kentico fan might have made this comparison

but still, as a freelance developer he should be able take a project and complete it in quickest time

for a enterprise developer or an application developer he doesnt have to worry about time

so, talking from a perspective of a 5year experienced .net freelance developer its about two things 1.feature availability 2.feature extensibility

if a client wants a shopping website its simple to take nopcommerce and finish it faster than taking umbraco and integrating ecommerce into it

if a client wants a blog its simple to take dnn or wordpress or wpdotnet and finish the website than using umbraco

im comparing an equally skilled umbraco expert with other cms expert developers

i took this comparison from http://www.pixelcrayons.com/blog/cms/top-microsoft-asp-net-cms-comparison/

although anything can be built on umbraco its like

i have to invest 20% of time on other cms to build a website where, i have to invest 50% of time on umbraco

eg: social login/social sharing - yes plugin is good. but it would be better if this feature is in the core analytics - this should be in the core which should be extended by an extension with more features UI - themes engine should be supporting desktop, responsive mobile, web app etc search, sitemap, maps, geo detection, front end editing, user membership roles, banner ad slots, simple cart with coupon modules, drag and drop page builder [divi, ] email integration API library : where developers can import paypal/stripe, sms gateway, logistics, s3 storage, dropbox integration etc] simple ecommerce structure: for eshop, for donations, for saas subscription model etc [just a simple data type definition in the core is enough] multi lingual, multi site extensive url controls [permalink, redirects,vanity urls etc]

rest, the community can extend using plugins

Umbraco is great. but it should align itself to compete against wordpress developers should love to consider umbraco to create a website in 30mins 30 mins is enough to create a website in WordPress with a free theme, few menus, few pages, contact page, sitemap with google analytics because most of the features are available and there are plugins to extend

WordPress + jetpack = for all settings wordpress + woocommerce = for all ecommerce

Umbraco should have such Umbraco + jetpack = for all settings Umbraco + core template {eshop, classifieds, rich media content, crowdfunding etc} = developers can combine Umbraco core with core template of his choice to further extend the features the community can create plugins, themes based on core templates

a promissing Umbraco 8.0 road map will welcome more developers

May 19, 2017 @ 10:08
    david

im starting to hate this editor which ignores carriage return

May 19, 2017 @ 10:24
    David Brendel

Hi David,

I honestly disagree with stating that Umbraco should compete with Wordpress. In fact I say it shouldn't.

Use the tools that are good for the job. If nopcommerce is the best fit because you just want a shop system. Go with it. If you need a blog pick DNN or Wordpress. If you don't need a CMS than don't use one.

Haven't found anyone in the Umbraco community that I talked to that would disagree with that statement (I think).

Also there are so many things I'm personally really glad that they are not in Umbraco like a theme system like Wordpress has it. For analytics - why force the user to use Google Analytics? There are different ones on the market. Integrate ecommerce stuff? Why? I don't need that every time I build a website. Everyone has it's own opinion what is important or not in a CMS.

Think it all comes down to the one thing stated above. Use the best tool to achieve your goal(s).

Really not a fan of that whole comparison thing at all to be honest.

Regards David

May 19, 2017 @ 10:58
    david

Blockquote

If nopcommerce is the best fit because you just want a shop system.

Blockquote

Should i not use Umbraco easily than nopcommerce?

Blockquote

Also there are so many things I'm personally really glad that they are not in Umbraco like a theme system like Wordpress has it. For analytics - why force the user to use Google Analytics? There are different ones on the market. Integrate ecommerce stuff? Why? I don't need that every time I build a website. Everyone has it's own opinion what is important or not in a CMS.

Blockquote

its not an opinion it looks like you are forcing me to write the code every time i want a feature Time is money. i want to build 10 websites in a day than 1 website in a week

tell me what is super easy in Umbraco when compare to other cms

Blockquote

Really not a fan of that whole comparison thing at all to be honest.

Blockquote well, im not against umbraco in anyway. i want it to be simple, fast and easily extendable platform like wordpress i dont want umbraco to be a clone of wordpress

but, i can build website with CLICKS without writing a single line of code

which UMBRACO cannot do that easily i wish, umbraco get to that level

May 19, 2017 @ 11:47
    David Brendel

Nopcommerce is specialized in being a shop system. Umbraco is not and don't want to. So again. If the tool is better then stick with the best tool.

I think Umbraco is simple, fast and easy extendable. But in a different way than other systems. Wordpress, as an example, is a full build solution. Umbraco is a framework that you can build upon. That's the way I see it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your suggestions and what you want to point out. Sure thing there are maybe things that could have potential to be in core. Maybe some extended (social)login functionality or something else. You can implement that in the core and make a pull request if you want! :)

Again the main point of what I try to say is. If you solve your business needs to create 10 websites a day by using Wordpress than stick with it. It seems to be the right tool.

We should be glad for the diversity of tools we have to fulfill the needs of our customers!

What I try to build for myself currently is a base Umbraco solution which contains the most basic stuff that is needed for setting up a website. With branches for different packages that I then can reintegrate to one big solution. To get that first setup done quicker. Maybe that is also a solution to that problem. :)

Regards David

May 19, 2017 @ 12:11
    david

if i want an extensive ecommerce website i will pick nopcommerce for sure

if i want a simple ecommerce website - if thats is available in umbraco then YES

if i create 10 websites in 1 day, all 10 websites will be crap but i mean to say wordpress is that much easy. even .net developers prefer wordpress to do websites easily than to invest much time in developing a website from scratch

wordpress was a content platform they bought woocommerce which created a niche

it would be better like this

its like wordpress + woocommerce

if some one wants a blog they just use wordpress

they dont need woocommerce codes in the core

umbraco v8.0 + eshop v1.0 = eg: umbraco commerce + community plugins

umbraco v8.0 + content v1.3 = eg: umbraco news website + community plugins

umbraco v8.0 + listings v2.1 = eg: umbraco classifieds + community plugins

umbraco v8.0 + social network v3.3 = eg: umbraco social network + community plugins

Umbraco.Core + Umbraco.CoreTemplate = multi niche development platform

• Mark 91 posts -18 karma points
    Apr 04, 2018 @ 14:35
    Mark

What are you talking about, it is jibberish!?

I don't think you understand Umbraco or what it allows you to do as a professional developer.

Umbraco is not and should not be considered to be anything like Wordpress.

Umbraco is so you can carefully craft domain specific Content Management websites for your clients.

If you have clients that employee you to choose a bloated theme and crank out a Wordpress site, bully for you, join the other 3 billion people doing the same.

If however, your Client would like you to show some understanding of their business, content and how they would want to engage their visitors, then Umbraco is most definitely the tool.

Its quality mate, not quantity.

• Micha Somers 134 posts 597 karma points
    May 19, 2017 @ 18:03
    Micha Somers

The comparison chart misses one tiny little comparison to put things in perspective: the price ;-)

An Unlimited Server License for Kentico: €369,000 !!!

(taken from http://www.kentico.com/purchase/price-list/product-license-pricelist)

What do you get for that?

Full Kentico EMS edition plus unlimited websites on an unlimited number of servers, free training, premium support, and source code.

Even if you buy all the training, add-ons and support there exists for Umbraco, download the source code, put it on unlimited websites on an unlimited number of server, it would still be a fraction of that amount.

Having said that, it still depends on your needs, requirements and budget which of the tools fits best for you.

• Comment author was deleted

Apr 04, 2018 @ 11:51

Hello, I think that some important points to compare are:

• Security issues
    • Update issues

When I'm searching a CMS the first thing I ask myself is about security and future updates if necessary. I don't find i.e. WP a safe CMS.

• Mark 91 posts -18 karma points
    Apr 04, 2018 @ 14:41
    Mark

I think there should be some work done by the community if it hasn't already been done, to highlight the differences or similarities between other comparable products, the list above is not a true indication of comparisons and the following CMSs are not a definitive list.

DotNetNuke Kentico Sitefinity

A better list of comparable CMSs would be:

DotNetNuke Kentico Sitefinity Orchard Sitecore EpiServer

And for a truly cross-language list not specific to .net Developers we should include Wordpress and Dtupple and the rest.

Whos up for a GitHub project cataloguing CMS comparisons?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft