Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rasshme 9 posts 80 karma points
    May 16, 2017 @ 00:20
    rasshme

301 Redirects (301 URL Tracker)

Hi,

We are using 301 Url Tracker for tracking URL redirects. Its working great.

In addition to the dashboard view, our client wants a feature wherein, they can view individual redirects on the page itself.

For example, if page contact-us is redirected to contact-us-new, then on the page contact-us, there should be indication that this page is redirected to contact-us-new.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks Rasshme

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 16, 2017 @ 00:35
    Nicholas Westby

First off, I recommend reconsidering whether 301 URL Tracker is a viable long term option. The primary maintainer has indicated he no longer wishes to maintain the project. Food for thought at least.

Supposing you do want to keep using it, you could create a custom property editor that looks at the database table (icUrlTracker, I think) for any redirects with destinations of the current page.

For example, if page contact-us is redirected to contact-us-new, then on the page contact-us, there should be indication that this page is redirected to contact-us-new.

FYI, I imagine this would make more sense on the destination page rather than the source page (considering more often than not the source page will no longer exist).

• rasshme 9 posts 80 karma points
    May 16, 2017 @ 00:42
    rasshme

Thanks for your reply @Nicholas. Appreciate your inputs.

Is there any other package for Url redirect management which is good enough?

Agreed, it would make more sense on the destination page.

Thanks again! Rasshme

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 24, 2017 @ 21:00
    Nicholas Westby

I usually just add them to a redirect map pointed to from the web.config.

If there are so many it forces the web.config over the 250KB limit, I use a custom solution that basically lists the redirects in a text file.

I have also built custom solutions so that clients can edit their own redirects.

Nothing currently available is all that impressive. I'm hoping the core redirect dashboard will improve over time.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft