Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morten 105 posts 345 karma points
    May 04, 2017 @ 08:01
    Morten

Misconception regarding Master and Home document types

Let me start off by saying: I like Umbraco a lot. I find it easy to set up and manage. However, I think there's a misconception regarding having a Master page and a Home page, which I hope someone can shed some light on.

I currently have these Document Types:

Master
        Home
        News
        About

I allow Home at root, so when I visit / it will show my home, instead of going to /home. Then I create a new Content for Home. That means my Content/page layout looks like this:

Home
        News
        About

Since I want all my pages to be /news and /about, but still have / be my Home, I therefore allow News and About to be children of Home (in the permissions tab). This is great and all, because I can then create properties on my Home Document Type, which the other document types will inherit (such as SEO).

Well, both great and bad. If I want my Home page to have properties that none of the other pages will inherit, I cannot do that now, because all the other pages inherits from my Home Document Type.

How am I supposed to achieve this:

• Have a Master.cshtml file, which has @RenderBody()
    • Make a property on Home which will not be inherited by all the other Document Types
    • Make sure / is my Home content page

The only way I can think about this, is by allowing my Master Document Type at root, then replace my Home Document Type with Master and have the same structure as now, but basically have Home as a child of Master (in the content page). This would mean / is set to the Master content page, which I do not want. However, URL rewriting /home to / should solve my issue, right?

Is there a better way? Is this the way to go? Let me know how you guys would structure a page like this, so I can create properties for all pages and while separating Home from the rest of the pages.

Thanks!

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 04, 2017 @ 11:48
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Morten.

Basiclly, try to avoid inheritance and use Compositions and you will save yourself a lot of problem. Since Umbraco 7.2 was released, there is a build in feature called "Compositions", that Blake Clerke wrote a great post about: http://letswritecode.net/articles/document-type-compositions-in-umbraco/

So in your case, you would have theses document types, without any inhertitance:

Home
    News
    About

And you would allow Home at root, then allow Home to have children of type News and About. Then you would have a Composition called SEO that could look like:

SEO
     - Page Title
     - Page Description
     - Page Keywords

Then you would apply this composition to all you docuyment types, and they will all get these SEO properties. Now, you can easily add extra properties to you Home doctype, without them beeing inhertied to you News and About doctypes.

And then you can set up your content in the same way as you did in your post:

Home
        News
        About

That way, your Home node will get url / and News /news and /about.

You should still have a Master.cshtml view, that hold all your global code such as your header html, meta data etc and also the @RenderBody(). Just make sure that your Home.cshtml/News.cshtml and About.cshtml all have this master set in the top:

@{
        Layout = "Master.cshtml";
    }

Unfortunatly, you cannot "un-inherit" document types, so you would have to re-do your entire backoffice setup, but I promise it will be worth it in the long run.

Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any more question.

All the best / Dennis

May 04, 2017 @ 11:54
    Morten

Hello, Dennis! Yes, I have heard compositions is the new thing to use (for a few months or even years now).

If I follow your example, News and About would inherit from Home, which is what I already have now. This cannot work, as I have properties on Home I only want to have on Home. That could be properties like all the content, but content none of the other pages has.

I get the whole idea of compositions and how great they are, but I can't see this work without having the Master at root, then redirect (internal redirect without redirecting through umbracoInternalRedirectId) to Home instead, so my / is now /home. Either that or allow every page at root, but I'm sure that's going to go bad.

May 04, 2017 @ 12:04
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi!

No, your News and About doctype should not inherit from Home.

You could still use a Master document type if you want to, that holds SEO info (if you dont want to use Compositions), just make sure that News and About does not inherit from home. And you dont need to create a Master content node at root, you create a Home node at root that will get the url /.

So the Master doctype is just a container of properties for all you other doctypes.

Then you connect your Home/About and News views to the Master template.

Does this make sense or do you want me to make an example with some screenshots?

May 04, 2017 @ 12:58
    Morten

When you do:

Home
        News
        About

That's inheritance, right? News and About would inherit from Home. Unless we're talking about the Content section and not the Document Types. If this example is in the Content section, I completely understand it would not inherit.

May 05, 2017 @ 06:25
    Dennis Adolfi

Exacly, this is your Content structure:

Home
        News
        About

And this is your Doctype structure:

Master
        Home
        News
        About

Or, Document Type structure with Compositions:

Home (with SEO composition)
    News (with SEO composition)
    About (with SEO composition)
    SEO (composition Doctype)

I think we´ve misunderstood each other a few times in this thread due to the mixup of Content / Document Type. Easy mistake.

Hope you are on the right track now and that you get the result you wanted. Best of luck with your revamping!

Have a great weekend! :)

• Tim Watts 90 posts 395 karma points
    May 04, 2017 @ 11:57
    Tim Watts

Hi Morten,

I think you're getting Document Types and Content Nodes mixed up here.

There's no reason why you cannot have this as your Document Type structure:

MasterDocType
        HomeDocType
        NewsDocType
        AboutDocType

All your different document types inherit base properties from your Master doc type and can each also add their own unique properties. I have renamed the Document Types to make them distinct from the content nodes in my example, you can keep them the same in reality if you wish.

You then have this as your content structure (again, I have named them to be different to the example above):

HomeContent
        NewsContent
        AboutContent

Instead of relying on the inheritance of document type properties based on the parent/child relationship you could also use composite types. As an example you could then create a document type for SEO, and another for Branding and add these to your primary Document Types as necessary via the Compositions tab.Compositions

This gives a more flexible Document Type and keeps parent/child inheritance for when it's actually what you want.

Regards,

Tim

May 04, 2017 @ 12:59
    Morten

That is most definitely what I am thinking about. I call my Content Nodes and Document Types the same thing, so that's probably where I got it wrong.

This is definitely the way to go. Now comes the tough part: Revamping everything.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft