Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JohnAss 18 posts 128 karma points
    Apr 27, 2017 @ 21:27
    JohnAss

Problems understanding synchronization with Visual Studio

Hi Im having some problems understanding how to synchronize files between Umbraco, Unoeuro (webhotel for my website) and Visual studio.

Im new to Umbraco so I figured I would just describe what I have done so far and where my problems appear.

1. I created a empty web application in visual studio
    2. I installed the UmbracoCms nuget package and build solution
    3. Then I right-clicked on my application and clicked Publish - used my ftp information from Unoeuro and it published successfully
    4. Then I went on my website (not localhost) and did the initial Umbraco install - set it up with a mySQL database I have from Unoeuro as well

Here's where my problem appears. When I make content in Umbraco - for example a home page - it does upload the files, I can see that in my file manager on unoeuro. Here's a picture of it:

enter image description here --

BUT... it only uploads these files to Unoeuro meaning the new files does not show in my Views folder in Visual Studio like they would if I was installing Umbraco from localhost (I can kinda understand why)

But how would I get around this problem? Because now my project in Visual Studio needs to sync with my webhotel and that seems wrong to me.

• Tim Watts 90 posts 395 karma points
    Apr 28, 2017 @ 09:51
    Tim Watts

Hi Jonas and welcome to Our.

In step 4 you're using your published version of the website to create the Umbraco environment. All of the files are created in the environment in which you are running the Umbraco back-office (on the Unoeuro servers).

You need to copy the content back to your local machine, for example manually using an FTP client (I use Filezilla).

At the moment when your website is still in development you might prefer to do everything on Unoeuro. Once it's been running for a while you may want to change this to make amendments locally, and then publish or FTP them onto the server only when you're happy.

One day you'll make a change which breaks everything and be grateful that you're not doing it to a live website!

Tim

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft