Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Amit 10 posts 81 karma points
    Apr 23, 2017 @ 09:22
    Amit

Custom code for document type

Hello all, I'm relatively new to Umbraco and after going through all of the tutorials I managed to get my hands on, I still couldn't find an answer to my question -

Is it possible in Umbraco to define a "constructor" for a document type, Regardless of its hierarchical position as a page of itself, or as a nested content in another document type.

The idea I'm pursuing is to define a custom code section to initialize things that are external to Umbraco, to allow my content editors to use this document type on any other document type (as a child) and for the custom code for my first document type (the nested one) to be initialized accordingly.

I'm aware of route hijacking and I am currently using it, but with that approach I'm bound to define a custom controller per each new document type that is intended to use my nested document type, i'm wondering if there is a way to achieve what I'm after.. (sort of a constructor\event handler for the child document type)

Thanks in advance to all potential helpers :)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2017 @ 21:55
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Amit

Also you can use ContentService events - https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/events/contentservice-events

Split code for each document type and call some constructor per document type if it's the case.

Alex

• Amit 10 posts 81 karma points
    May 21, 2017 @ 05:10
    Amit

Hey Alex, thanks for replying.

The thing is that there are no "on load" event for documents, only published and created.

I wish to run a custom code for each document type, regardless of said document type being a page on its own or as children of another document type...

it seems that this is impossible, thus i cannot completely encapsulate a document type's custom logic inside it.

I must take into account WHERE is that document being used (and deal with the custom logic of it in that place i.e. a parent document..)

Am I correct or am i missing something?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft