Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Orlan 1 post 71 karma points
    Mar 24, 2017 @ 16:37
    Daniel Orlan

Trying to undo Umbraco update broke my site. Invalid Column name ParentGroupId

I accidentally upgraded umbraco via nuget from 7.3.7 to 7.5x I then logged into my sites back office and proceeded (regretfully) to follow the upgrade/install steps until completion. Everything was working fine.

*Important: I did not back up the DB before upgrade.

Then I realized that I did not want to upgrade umbraco, so I uninstalled 7.5x and installed 7.3.7 via nuget. This is the point that I broke everything.

I can no longer access the site or the sites back office. Browsing to mysite gives me a SQL Exception enter image description here

Going to mysite/umbraco gives me a blank page with the following errors:

I'm at a loss of where to go from here.

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Mar 24, 2017 @ 17:38
    Kevin Jump

Hi Diniel

sorry it seems to have gone so wrong for you.

there is no documented way to 'downgrade' umbraco - in short your best bet maybe to upgrade back to 7.5.x :(

however if you have to go back down, its probibly a case of looking at what happens during an upgrade and reversing it.

upgrades are processed in umbraco as migrations, and you can see the code that does them in the umbraco repo :

looking at the error your getting, i suspect its this part of the upgrade to 7.4.0 that deletes the parentGroupId col from the database.

when you've gone back down the database doesn't have the columns its expecting and its throwing the error.

you could try putting it back in, but i suspect there will be other places where similar things have happened.

it might be a case of walking back through the migrations and seeing if you can restore enough of the database schema changes to get back up.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft