Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Mar 21, 2017 @ 16:01
    Bobi

I've installed Articulate as a package in Umbraco. Is there a way to view the controllers, etc. (src code)? Also, would the answer generally apply to all installed packages?

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Mar 22, 2017 @ 15:54
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Hi Bobi,

when installing packages, then normally you have dll files which are included in the project bin folder.

These are the files that contain elements like controllers, etc.

On the package page like for example Articulate you have a link to the source code if you want to look into it.

Below is the link to the project page of Articulate, on the right side underExternal Resources you will find the url to the source code.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate/

Hope this helps!

/Michaël

Mar 22, 2017 @ 16:04
    Bobi

Thanks for the reply! So is there any way to view the controller files in the dll file ?

I ask because I am curious about updating packages. If I want to update the articulate package manually, or view the installed controllers and models of the version that I am running, then is that something I have access to?

I am looking for some flexibility with respect to the src code of the package.

And if not, then I just have to rely on the package update (which I'm assuming would come out and I would have to agree to the update...something like that?)

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Mar 22, 2017 @ 19:24
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Bobi,

no that will not be possible unless you fork on the articulate project in github and manually build your dlls but I won't think that's a good idea.

/Michaël

Mar 22, 2017 @ 21:31
    Bobi

Thanks. I'm assuming this is the only way to install these packages then.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 22, 2017 @ 21:36
    Nicholas Westby

Depends on the package. Some allow you to install via the package manager in the back office, which just gets the data from the package page on our.umbraco.org. Others allow for NuGet installation. Others provide a manual ZIP file to download on the GitHub release pages and install local using the package manager. Others provide a simple ZIP that you extract into your file system for your website.

Some will provide DLL's for things like controllers; others will have code you put in your App_Code folder.

When available, my preferred method is to install packages with NuGet. Makes it easier to upgrade. Also, if I need a custom build, I can fork and host my own version on MyGet (e.g., I've had to do that with Ditto a few times).

Mar 22, 2017 @ 22:06
    Bobi

Thanks Nicholas. So I'm assuming that the best way to install Articulate right now is through the package. I hope upgrading isn't a difficult task.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft