Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy Hsieh 6 posts 97 karma points
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 08:12
    Andy Hsieh

Create a template looks like the Documentation Page

Hi all,

I am trying to practice by creating a website just exactly looks like the Documentation page on Our Umbraco.

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/

However, I have some questions during the process.

1. How to create a "breadcrumb"?

2. Where can I edit the margin, padding, and font size? (is there a css style sheet? where is it? or can I edit it on the content page or document type? )

3. is there a "our.umbraco.org/documentation" template (or something looks similar to it) for users to download? (so I can see where I did wrong)

Thank you guys so much!!

Best regards,

Andy

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 19:15
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Andy

Nice one in choosing Umbraco - it is an awesome CMS however I remember when I first started using it and trying to join the dots on wiring it all up.

I would suggest installing a starter kit and poking around with it first, specifically looking at pages, working out how they are created via document types, how document types are linked to templates (Views in MVC speak) and how partial views (snippets of functionality) are then added to templates (Views).

Then within the templates work out how CSS is added to a site. Umbraco provides the tools to manage CSS but it is no different to CSS on a static site - you simply reference a CSS file.

With respect to your question of breadcrumbs, when creating a partial view (within the Settings section of the admin area) you can select a predefined template called "Breadcrumbs" - this is a starting point at least. You then still have to add the partial view to your template.

So, personally from the nature of your questions, I do think it would prove helpful to get a starter kit, change stuff, break stuff, and get more familiar with the "Umbraco way".

Enjoy.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft