Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 06:09
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Questions About Umbraco Forms Security Advisory Feb2017

If you have questions about today's security advisory, please ask here and we'll get back to you ASAP.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 08:58
    Dave Woestenborghs

Now you made me very curious :-)

Mar 01, 2017 @ 14:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Unfortunately this usually means it's not good news, sorry. :-)

https://umbraco.com/blog/security-advisory-update-umbraco-forms-immediately/

• Shola 65 posts 273 karma points
    Mar 01, 2017 @ 15:34
    Shola

Hello,

In case some of us don't stumble upon the blog, or catch it at a later date, will you be actively emailing the people who bought licenses?

Thanks!

Mar 01, 2017 @ 16:04
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes emails are being sent to license purchasers right now.

• Kevin Duong 15 posts 85 karma points
    Mar 01, 2017 @ 15:56
    Kevin Duong

If I drag and drop the DLL you provided onto my Azure hosted site, will that resolve this issue for me?

Mar 01, 2017 @ 16:04
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes.

• glenatron 37 posts 132 karma points
    Mar 01, 2017 @ 16:02
    glenatron

We have had to make a lot of customisations around Forms behaviour and an update is very likely to break things for us.

Is there any chance of a little more detail on what has changed/what the threat is?

Mar 01, 2017 @ 16:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

All I can tell you is that there's absolutely no breaking changes. If you need more information send an email to [email protected]

• Paul Yates 32 posts 86 karma points
    Mar 01, 2017 @ 16:38
    Paul Yates

Should Umbraco still report on the dashboard the previous installed version after applying the update (manual method)? I'm sure it should but just want to check.

Mar 01, 2017 @ 17:48
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Mar 01, 2017 @ 16:42
    Marc Goodson

Hi Seb

So if an Umbraco site has been upgraded to Umbraco 7, and the client has kept Contour...

... so they are not using Umbraco Forms...

... but the Umbraco.Forms.Core.Providers.dll is still present within the bin folder, because is ships with 7 ?

.. then are they affected ?

or only affected if they have hit the 'install' button on the Install Umbraco Forms dashboard...

... eg they actually have to be actively using Umbraco Forms to be affected, or is the dll lying dormant still an issue.

(just prioritising my to patch list)

regards

Marc

Mar 01, 2017 @ 17:51
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If Forms is not installed: no problem . If it gets installed in the future it will install 4.4.2 - no problem.

If Forms is installed, even not in use now: need to update in case it gets used in the future.

• Mark Owen 10 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 02, 2017 @ 10:47
    Mark Owen

Hi,

I believe that we are using Contour and not Umbraco Forms, however, whilst everything in Umbraco says Contour and the plugin is called Contour, the related dlls are called Umbraco.Forms.* and specifically the Umbraco.Forms.Core.Providers.dll is present.

Does this mean that we are affected or are Contour dlls also called Umbraco.Forms?

Thanks, Mark

Mar 02, 2017 @ 10:54
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Contour is not affected, yes, the dlls are named Umbraco.Forms as that was always the codename for Contour before Contour was renamed to Umbraco Forms.

If you look at the version of Umbraco.Forms.Core.dll then it should be lower than 4.0.0. Umbraco Forms is 4.0.0 and up.

Hope that helps!

• Mark Owen 10 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 02, 2017 @ 10:56
    Mark Owen

Yep, that helps, thanks. I thought that would be the case, but wanted to make sure.

• k 256 posts 654 karma points
    Mar 02, 2017 @ 12:03
    k

Hello,

The issue is on what umbraco Form versions ? All umbraco form versions below 4.4.2 should be updated ?

Thanks

Mar 02, 2017 @ 12:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes, all versions below 4.4.2 should be updated.

• Phil Dye 149 posts 325 karma points
    Mar 03, 2017 @ 15:44
    Phil Dye

We are finding on many projects that a nuget UpdatePackage is not upgrading all files correctly; the vulnerable dll gets updated, but not all content files (including some of the backoffice Javascript) - this results in various Angular/console errors.

We've resorted to removing the nuget package, and then re-adding it - this ensures all files are updated correctly.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-1287 logged for now, although more investigation is needed to flesh out the detail.

Phil

• Mike Beale 38 posts 132 karma points
    Mar 13, 2017 @ 10:58
    Mike Beale

We have just noticed that this update is stopping the datepicker working on our site.

I have just copied back the previous Umbraco.Forms.Core.Providers.dll we had, and the datepicker starts working again. Properties of the old dll say version 4.3.2, and we have forms version 4.3.2, and downloaded the fix for Umbraco Forms versions from 4.3.0 up to and including 4.4.1

There are no errors shown in Firefox, Chrome or IE11 debug tools.

Looking in the debug tools in Firefox that the pickaday.js & pickaday.css are not being loaded with the updated .dll file, there is no reference to them in the HTML of the page.

As a quick test copied the new dll back and the datepicker stops working, copy back the old dll and the datepicker is back!

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Mar 13, 2017 @ 11:16
    Warren Buckley

Hi Mike,
    I will need to do some tests & investigation to see if I can reproduce and help sort this out.

Can you clarify if the following file is present please:

/Views/Partials/Forms/DatePicker.cshtml

I suspect it may be missing, if so you can upgrade to the lasts Forms 4.4.2 as opposed to just the DLL.

As always back up everything before doing upgrades.

Please let me know Mike, if this resolves your problems.

Thanks,
    Warren

• Mike Beale 38 posts 132 karma points
    Mar 13, 2017 @ 11:48
    Mike Beale

Hi Warren,

You are correct, that file does not exist.

We have not done many updates on packages as due to the security setup on our servers & networks it never seems to go quite right.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest Forms package file and did a manual upgrade using Install Local Package as the server has no outbound internet access.

Crossed fingers and it installed, and everything is working good, it has the updated .dll file, and now the DatePicker.cshtml file is also there.

Thanks for you help Mike

• Darren Eccles 59 posts 298 karma points
    Mar 16, 2017 @ 09:25
    Darren Eccles

Hi Guys,

Had a worrying moment this morning, I uploaded the new Umbraco.Forms.Core.Provider.dll to my bin folder which caused the site to crash.

The site is running Umbraco 7.4.3, and Umbraco Forms 4.3.2 and I definitely uploaded the right .dll (dll version 4.3.0 - 4.4.1)

I reverted back to the old .dll, however the site would not come back online. I stop the site in IIS, and also stop the application pool, however after stopping the application pool, I could not get it to start again (it was throwing an error).

I created a new application pool and linked this to the existing site, restarted the site and it worked.

Has anyone else had any issues like this?

I have around 10 other sites I need to update, but after this I'm a bit worried about taking more sites down.

Thanks

Darren

Mar 16, 2017 @ 09:27
    Warren Buckley

Hi Darren,
    Can you reproduce it locally and get a stack trace error that may indicate what the problem is.

Thanks,
    Warren

Mar 16, 2017 @ 10:10
    Darren Eccles

Hi Warren,

This is strange, I just ran the project locally with the new .dll and its working without any issues.

Darren

Mar 16, 2017 @ 10:29
    Darren Eccles

Hi Warren,

Bit of an update, I re-uploaded the .dll again, and the site seems to be working now, very strange.

Thanks for coming back to me.

Darren

• Jay 413 posts 639 karma points
    Mar 22, 2017 @ 12:04
    Jay

Do we have to patch this if we are using the old Contour 3.0.8? Is this just for the new Umbraco Forms?

Thanks

Mar 23, 2017 @ 16:00
    Warren Buckley

Hi JLon you do not need to do anything as the blog post mentions this:

Contour (the predecessor to Umbraco Forms) is not affected.

Many Thanks,
    Warren :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft