Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Manifold 7 posts 87 karma points
    Feb 20, 2017 @ 10:54
    Andrew Manifold

Hi folks

I was wondering if anyone could advice on the capacity available when storing images and media files in the media section.

Is there an upper limit to how many image and video files can be uploaded to the Umbraco Media section.

We have a requirement to host between 5-10000 files mostly images and are wondering if Umbraco will be able to handle this?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

• Chris Dixon 12 posts 55 karma points
    Feb 21, 2017 @ 11:02
    Chris Dixon

I don't think there are any limits, Andrew, but you may wish to consider using a CDN. There's an excellent article on that subject here http://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2015/using-a-cdn-with-umbraco/

Feb 21, 2017 @ 12:01
    Andrew Manifold

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply, hadn't thought of a CDN great idea.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 21, 2017 @ 12:33
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Andrew and Chris

It's a great topic about storing huge numbers of media in Umbraco Media section.

And I would say that the biggest problem is with presenting it in the media library? How do you want to manage 10000 images? A lot of folders with levels??

For its not resolved question - how to manage a lot of media items?

Thanks,

Alex

Feb 21, 2017 @ 12:52
    Andrew Manifold

Hi Alex

You're right about how these images will be managed and it is something I've flagged to those wanting to do this.

We'll be looking at creating a hierarchy folder structure to give the library some order.

I'm also looking at extending the properties on the default image "data type" with custom text strings to allow the users to add metadata to the images (a big task for someone :) ) that can be used to associate them with content once uploaded.

Razor code in the Content Templates would then interrogate these custom metadata fields in the Media Library so they would automatically populate the Content page with images found to have related metadata results. (if that makes sense)

Cheers Andy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft