Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Thomas 2 posts 71 karma points
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 08:51
    Matt Thomas

Explain like I'm 5: I've deleted a file and it won't restore (cites incorrect nodes)

Not a code savvy person here and not particularly familiar with the format. While maintaining an events folder, I accidentally deleted the whole folder rather than a single event.

The folder and all nested events are still present in the recycling bin but when I try to restore, it brings up an error message: "Failed to move content The current node is not allowed under the chosen node because of its type"

I'm aware this isn't a huge amount to go on, I'm happy to provide further details as best I can.

Many Thanks

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 10:08
    Douglas Robar

Hi, Matt!

Welcome to the Umbraco community! Sorry you're having a difficult moment but don't fear, you've provided plenty to go on and we'll get you going again soon.

Since you mentioned you aren't overly familiar with Umbraco so first the concept. Then the "how to". Ten minutes will have you on your way.

One of the many things I like about Umbraco is how easy it is to configure it to give content editors the best possible experience. Part of this is to disable things people shouldn't be doing to help them focus on what they should be doing.

Defining which kinds of pages are allowed in which parts of the content tree is one of these. You wouldn't want to end up with a content three with two home pages or multiple FAQ areas, for instance. Or to allow individual news pages to be created anywhere but under the main News area of the website.

With "one of a kind" pages (such as the home page, news area, and FAQ area) it's a good idea to turn off the ability to make more of those kinds of pages once the first one has been created.

That's what's happened in your site. The Event Folder page is a one-of-a-kind page. There shouldn't be more than one. So after it was created the ability to create more of them was disabled. You can still make individual event pages below the event folder but you can't make another event folder.

Make sense?

The difficulty that you've run into is that no only can't you create a new event folder in the content tree (because it isn't allowed in that place in the content tree any more... hence the error message) but you also can't get around this by trying to pull one back from the recycle bin.

Trouble is, in your case, you need to do just that.

The solution is to temporarily allow the event folder so that you can put the one in the recycle bin back in place as the one and only event folder for the site. Once that's done it would be a good idea to again disable the ability to create event folders.

That's the concept. Here's how to do it...

Note: if you don't have access to the Settings section of the Umbraco back office you'll need to find someone at your company or the people who built the site for you to do this part for you. It isn't something content editors are typically able to do.

1. Go to the page in the Content section of the Umbraco back office and select the page which should have the Events folder below it.

2. Click on the Properties tab for that page Scroll down and notice the Document Type of that page (it might be the site's Home Page or some other page)

3. Remember the name of that Document Type, that's the kind of page we need to give permission to allow an Event folder as a child page below it in the content tree.

4. Go to the Settings section of the Umbraco back office

5. Select the Document Types item and expand it.

6. Click the document type you discovered in step 2.

7. In the top-right corner of the window, click the 'Permissions' icon.

8. Click the Add child link and select the document type associated with the Event folder you deleted.

9. Save.

At this point you should be able to restore the deleted Event folder and all the events from the recycle bin.

You'll want to publish them all to make them visible to website visitors.

Then remove the permission to allow creating a new Event folder document type following the above steps and instead of Adding a child document type you'd remove the Event folder that's already allowed.

Hope this helps. Shout with any questions.

cheers,
    doug.

• Matt Thomas 2 posts 71 karma points
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 10:22
    Matt Thomas

Thanks Doug

As this is my first big mistake with this framework, I've gone into overdrive and contacted everyone I can think of to find a solution. Fortunately, my line manager has her head screwed on tighter than me and is confident that she can solve the problem. I think the problem is exactly as you describe so it all seems to be in hand now, phew.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 10:58
    Douglas Robar

Yup, I know that PANIC! feeling. Which is why I wanted to let you know it wasn't really a crisis and no data would be lost (well, unless you'd actually gone and emptied the recycle bin completely, which would require a database restore to get it back).

Glad you're well on your way to getting this sorted out. Always call on the Umbraco community; we're always glad to help. We've all been there!

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft