Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Clancy 63 posts 132 karma points
    Jan 18, 2017 @ 14:57
    Chris Clancy

Site performamce issues during/after CMS import

Hi,

We have a web app on Azure and after using CMS import the site is unusable until I restart the app via Azure.

Umbraco is v7.5.0 and CMS Import is Pro version 3.5.2

It's been a while since I've imported due to previous issues but I wanted to start again today as we have made several performance improvements recently.

I tested CMS Import with (CSV file, < 100 items) on our staging setup which is also on Azure. There were no issues here so I tried on our live site with around 30 items in a CSV and the front end froze up during the import process and eventually returned a 503 and was totally unresponsive. I then stopped/started the app and the front end looked fine but editors were unable to save/publish anything in the back office. About an hour later I restarted the app again and all was well.

Can anyone explain what might be going on here? We probably have 10-20 editors max using the back office at any one time and there were <30 site visitors when I ran the import so the only difference between UAT and production appears to be load/users.

I want to try again with no editors just to see what happens but surely a small amount of users would not cause these problems.

I assume CMS import causes a re-index after each import so could that be an issue and is there anything we can do to improve this? There are around 8000 articles on the entire site. BTW, the 30 content items were all imported successfully!

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 18, 2017 @ 15:20
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Chris,

I am the Author of CMSImport. So glad to hear all got imported but to bad you have issues, I think the issue is related to examine/autopublish indeed. Publish causes an update of the index and that could be slow (on Azure).

If you import without publish and do the publish yourself later this should be faster.

Also I am interested what the logs say. Maybe a lot of errors happened on the same time.

Hope the non publish option helps for now.

Best,

Richard

• Chris Clancy 63 posts 132 karma points
    Jan 19, 2017 @ 09:32
    Chris Clancy

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the input. Azure seems to have done something with the log files for yesterday so I can't access that right now! The next time we try an import we will ensure that editing is not going on and auto publish is switched off. Hopefully I can provide some feedback afterwards.

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft