Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• st 21 posts 111 karma points
    Dec 07, 2016 @ 15:18
    st

Umbraco multi-site solution, pros/cons

Hey! Lets say i have 6 companies within a organisation that needs a webpage. All the companies work in different disiplines. All the companies needs different graphic profile (other font, colors etc...), there also needs to be a possibility to change the template for the companies.

Whats the pros/cons with using Umbraco CMS as a multi-site solution (multiple sites in one instance)?

Pros as i can see: - much lower development cost for new companies in the organisation (?) - sentralized place to do maintenance (both (server) operation and content related).

How is multi site handeled? One base documenttype for each site? How to use the same template for each domain but with different styling?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Dec 07, 2016 @ 16:55
    Nicholas Westby

I should probably write an article on this, but here's the short version:

• You can have a theme drop down on the homepage. This will affect the styles for that entire site. For example, you can attach that theme as a CSS class to your body tag, then style based on which body class is present.
    • You can build sites with widgets, then just style widgets differently depending on theme: http://skrift.io/articles/archive/building-umbraco-websites-with-archetype-widgets-and-ditto/
    • Be mindful that search requires some customization so you don't get content from each site appearing in the search results for other sites.

Some downsides:

• The instability of one site affects all sites. Of course, the flip side is that you fix that one site and that potentially fixes all the sites too.
    • Changes have wider-ranging impacts (e.g., change how the slideshow works in one site, you may affect all sites), which means you may have to more strongly consider your actions before introducing changes later.
    • Application-level caching can become more complicated. For example, if you have a function that returns the homepage node ID from a cache, that function can now return different node ID's depending on which homepage you need.

That said, I absolutely recommend using Umbraco for multi-tenant solutions. I'm actually working on a large project right now that may have a similar number of sites eventually.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft