Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve 140 posts 321 karma points
    Nov 24, 2016 @ 00:50
    Steve

Concurrency and edit locking

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a solution which would protect content against concurrent editing in Umbraco 7?
    We'd like to pitch an Umbraco 7 powered solution to a customer which will potentially have a large number of content editors working in different offices and in multiple languages, so quite possibly on the same nodes at the same time.
    However, we've just come to understand that Umbraco does not have built in 'node' or 'page locking', and that previous projects such as Concierge or MyLocks have not been updated to support V7.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.
    BR / Steve

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 24, 2016 @ 06:52
    Nicholas Westby

You could probably implement a somewhat hacky version relatively easily. You could inject some JavaScript that notifies the server whenever a page is opened. You could then have some other JavaScript periodically (e.g., every few seconds) poll the server to check if the currently open page is open by another user.

What you do with that information would then be up to you. You could notify the user that they may be editing a page currently being edited by another user. Or you could disable the save/publish buttons.

You might also consider some JavaScript that would check the server to see if there is a newer version of the current content node, in which case you could again notify the user or disable the buttons.

This shows how you can inject custom JavaScript into the back office: http://24days.in/umbraco/2015/umbraco-7-back-office-tweaks/

Nov 24, 2016 @ 15:00
    Steve

Hi Nicholas,
    Thank you very much for the suggestions and the link. Looks like an excellent tutorial. Although our experience extending the backoffice is limited, we'll take a close look into this and let you know how it goes.
    Steve

Nov 24, 2016 @ 15:09
    Steve

A point in the release notes for V7.6 indicates "Document lock / unlock"
    Does anyone know if the 'lock' described here is intended to be a 'short term' lock to prevent concurrent editing or a 'long term' lock to do something like 'prevent future editing' ie control access to the document (or both!). Would be great features.
    Thanks for any insight!
    Steve

Dec 15, 2016 @ 02:41
    Steve

Nothing on this?

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Dec 18, 2020 @ 02:11
    David Armitage

I need something similar for Umbraco 8.

I am having problems when editors are editing the same page at the same time.

I am wondering if there is some config setting to either prevent this from happening or at least provide a warning?

Kind Regards

David

• Chris Norwood 131 posts 642 karma points
    Dec 22, 2020 @ 18:01
    Chris Norwood

We also have this requirement - as far as I can tell nothing has been implemented in Umbraco 8 to manage this and the only GitHub case I can find about it was closed:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/5025

There don't seem to be any packages for V8 to do this either :(.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft