Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Charles Williams 5 posts 71 karma points
    Nov 08, 2016 @ 18:00
    Charles Williams

Changing SSL port to work with IIS Express

Hi.

I have taken over an existing Umbraco project based on Umbraco 7.2.8 and I am having issues with setting it up locally with IIS Express. I can get the project to work with IIS just fine, but I am also able to use the default ports of :80 and :443. I am also using Visual Studio 2015. The author of this project said to just use IIS Express, but IIS Express does not like you using port 443 and makes it virtually impossible to configure it to use 443. I have used the properties section in Visual Studio to set SSL to true and have it give me a random SSL port, create the virtual directory, etc. I have set the hostnames in the Umbraco backoffice to localhost:44348 for SSL, to localhost:40347 for non-ssl, and I have tried just leaving the hostname as localhost. I have also tried using a sub-domain, and adding http:// or https:// to the hostnames. This project is also a multiple subdomain project with multiple sites.

I have checked the ApplicationHost.config for the project, checked the csproj file, the webconfig, made sure all instances of the SSL port being 443 has been removed. Now here is the issue:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I get this error no matter what site, or sub-domain I go to as long as the SSL port is anything but 443. The non-secure port does not redirect to the SSL port either, unlike when you have port :80 and port :443 setup in IIS. Each error is a bit different depending on which site I am trying to go to, but each error has something to do with the NodeHelper. So I have reset the AppPool and the project nodes, and re-published the entire website, and I still get the same errors.

In the meantime I can use IIS, but I would like to know what the proper way of setting up a development environment using IIS Express, Visual Studio (not Web Matrix), with an already existing project (not a install). I am not sure what I am missing. Please help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft