Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Baden 1 post 71 karma points
    Oct 12, 2016 @ 16:08
    Baden

Please assist with these considerations in using Umbraco - are these scenarios possible?

We are planning a new platform to be developed.

This platform will manage 1..* clients and have several components:

• Platform security/access
    • CMS Management (global configuration of templates for client-based use)
    • Contact Management (client-based)
    • Reports (client-based)
    • Additional client-based sections
    • CMS (client-based)

I would like to minimize development efforts and looking at the possibility of using the CMS for the actual platform development as well. In this way we could add whatever forms are required in the platform through the CMS rather than hand-coding them all.

At the top-most level of the platform's interface, client selection will be possible. Once a client is selected the platform environment will be specific to that client (only that client's websites). When selecting the CMS portion, only that client's websites will be visible and should be able to draw from a global list of templates configured at the system-level.

What I don't want to see is the CMS with a list of all of the various clients' websites.

I imagine a global parameter can be passed to the Umbraco interface to configure it for that client? How can this be accomplished?

So there are two questions here:

1. Ability to use Umbraco to create our platform dashboard
    2. Once again integrate Umbraco within that platform in a 1..* scenario where the client is selected at the global level and not through the Umbraco interface
  • Jason Vickers 21 posts 115 karma points
    Oct 23, 2016 @ 20:46
    Jason Vickers

This a pretty in depth question, but the answer to all of it, in my opinion, is Yes, this can be done. Without laying it all out here on how you would accomplish it, as it would take quite a bit of typing, if you are interested, just reply here and I can give you my contact information to discuss.

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Oct 24, 2016 @ 06:41
    Sotiris Filippidis

Regarding question 1 - without getting into details I can say that yes, it is possible.

Regarding question 2 - as far as I understand you need to only see a part of the "content tree" each time, that is related to a specific client only. This can easily be achieved using different back-end accounts where each one will only have access to part of the tree. Logging in with a single account and then selecting the client and restricting the content tree to the client's data would be a bit more tricky, but I believe it's feasible.

What I would give extra attention to would be the Media Library, since this is governed by the same principles as the content tree if you decide to restrict access by different back-end user accounts, but it will need a similar kind of treatment as with the content tree if something custom is developed to allow client selection.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft