Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Aug 29, 2016 @ 21:07
    Nathan Woulfe

Upgrading on a shared host

I've been tasked with upgrading a 6.0.2 site through to 7.latest, which is all fine, other than the fact the site is on a shared host.

Ideally, I'd run the upgrade on a local copy of the site, then restore the database into an empty instance on the DB server, push up all the required files, including an updated web config pointing to the new DB.

However, I have really limited access to the database server. I can't create a new DB, and given that, don't know if I can restore either.

I want to minimise any impacts on the production site, while also having confidence that I have a fallback in place should I need it.

Any advice on the best way forward would be awesome.

N

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Aug 29, 2016 @ 21:23
    Nicholas Westby

Hopefully you can at least backup/export/import/restore the existing database (if not, that's a little scary). If so, I have an idea.

Backup/export the database. Attempt to get it running on your local (hopefully the backup isn't a proprietary format). Do all the upgrades on your local.

Create a database on the host using a separate account if necessary. You should be able to script out the database from your local (SSMS generates these scripts for you) and then run those scripts on the host to populate the database. From there, I would hope you could backup that database on the host, export the backup, then import it to the legacy site and restore over the legacy database.

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Aug 30, 2016 @ 09:41
    Nathan Woulfe

Be afraid - I have no access to backup/restore. The best the hosting co can offer is a backup they can restore on request.

The site is pretty basic, almost no custom code, so I don't see any reason that there would be upgrade issues, I just don't really like the idea of upgrading a live site without a reasonable fallback...

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Sep 02, 2016 @ 04:04
    John Palmer

Hi Nathan,

On shared hosting, you are not permitted to access the server. But, you can create DB via their control panel. You can backup and restore it via the control panel. You can always contact their support team. You pay for them, right? :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft