Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Charles Pisano 12 posts 83 karma points
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 12:33
    Charles Pisano

Well I am calling this quits have installed it at least 10 times nothing works

I have installed this 10 times all I get is errors. You appear to be magical beings from another world . Thanks everyone for your help. Anyone who has success with this God bless them.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 12:47
    Dan Diplo

I'm sorry you are having issues. However, it's hard to provide assistance if you don't supply information that would help diagnose this. For instance:

1. What method did you try and install Umbraco? From a download, from NuGet?

2. What database were you using - SQL Server, MySQL, SQL CE?

3. What environment where you installing Umbraco into? eg. what Windows version? Does it have full trust? Do you have write permission?

4. How were you running Umbraco? Locally using SQL Express or on a remote server? Where you using Visual Studio, Web Matrix or something else?

5. What errors did you get? Have you checked the logs (/App_Data/Logs/)?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 13:16
    Nik

Hi Charles,

As with Dan, sorry to hear you are having issues. You've only posted two questions on the forum so it's hard for people to help you if you've had loads of problems, one of which appears to have been fully answered.

The community here is generally pretty good at helping people who are having issues and, if you issues are really major, an alternative option is to purchase a support package from the HQ itself.

Umbraco in general is pretty easy to get started with, there are all sorts of guides, blogs and videos that can help and I would highly recommend the Foundations course as well.

Don't just give up :-) Post some questions with as much detail as you possibly can and we can see what we can do to help :-).

Once you are up and running I'm sure you'll be much happier.

Nik

Aug 26, 2016 @ 15:56
    Charles Pisano

Please find enclosed video response.

https://youtu.be/E8lnamXdQ4Q

Aug 26, 2016 @ 17:04
    Nik

Hi Charles,

In your video the error message at the bottom tells you to have a look in the log files. Could you let us know what errors are showing in that log file as it might identify what needs to be changed.

Also, is this running locally on your machine or in a hosted environment?

On the plus side, at least you now have that package installed.

Did you try installing any other packages to see if it was a package error or an environment error?

Thanks,

Nik

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 18:16
    Dan Diplo

Given your issue is with a specific package, namely the Local Government one by Kevin Jump, then you'd probably be best posting in the Issues forum for that package, which is:

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/localgov-starter-kit/issues-bugs-questions/

Just bear in mind that package authors spend a lot of unpaid time creating packages for free and that they can't always test their package against every new version of Umbraco released. I've installed Kev's package before on 7.4.x and it worked fine, but maybe there are issues with 7.5?

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 18:58
    Kevin Jump

Hi Charles,

I've just stumbled into this post, and noticed it's the local gov starter kit, you appear to be having an issue installing it from the packages repository.

I wrote the starter kit, so I've done some digging to see if i could fix it.

Unfortunately there does seem to be something wrong - the server isn't getting the package (that's the error you are seeing)

I've just re-uploaded the package a few different ways to see if that fixes the issue, but it doesn't appear to :(

As you note the package does work on 7.5 if you download it locally, but i think there might be an issue with how our.umbraco.org. is handling newly uploaded packages for 7.5

I have also logged a job with the issue tracker for this site, so hopefully someone will look at it. (http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/OUR-420)

I'm sorry you got so many problems, starting out, especially with a starter kit, which is meant to help not hinder -

I know Its no consolation but i think you are just really unlucky with the timing of a new version and issues with the package upload. usually it works first time :(

Aug 26, 2016 @ 22:42
    Charles Pisano

Hi

This issue is with all packages. It is a permission based error. This will happen with anyone who installs the latest versions of Umbraco without changing the permissions and far the logs I have no idea what log to look or where to find it. I have someone who will attempt to find out what permissions need to set. tonight and keep you posted.

Aug 26, 2016 @ 22:50
    Nik

Hi Charles,

The logs are all stored in the App_data folder, in a subfolder called Logs.

In there you will see the log files, one, I believe, for each day. The latest one doesn't normally have a time stamp.

It would be worth checking the information there as it may help you identify what directory/permissions are missing,

Thanks,

Nik

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 27, 2016 @ 08:21
    Dennis Adolfi

Did you apply the correct permissions for your Umbraco application on the live server after installing Umbraco?

https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions/

Aug 27, 2016 @ 16:28
    Charles Pisano

Yes all is good.

Aug 27, 2016 @ 01:59
    Aug 27, 2016 @ 08:18
  • Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 27, 2016 @ 08:29
    Kevin Jump

Hi Charles,

I don't think that the first error (cannot fetch package) is a permissions one, I can get other packages this way - but not the Localgov starter kit.

I've also checked on older installs of umbraco (v7.4.3) that i know have worked in the past and you get the same error (albeit in a big YSOD).

the innards of the error point towards an internal function in umbraco. fetchPackageByVersion which is the call to the our site to go get the package. that is returning Object reference not set to an instance of an object which just means something is set to null somewhere and not being caught.

I think it's actually the package upload process on our that is probably broken - because uploading packages isn't setting the umbraco version correctly, and this means when the download call is made the null exception is occuring.

if you pick something that hasn't been uploaded in awhile (like my amazing styled text box package!) then it installs fine (for me anyway).

Aug 27, 2016 @ 08:47
    Charles Pisano

I have had no trouble physically putting the package on my server and installing it and it works fine. It just does not install automatically. It appears after you hit install that it cannot find the next page that you click on and install.

Aug 27, 2016 @ 10:24
    Charles Pisano

Hi

I have had two guys working on automatic uploading package since 10 PM last night. You all are right great packages. but many of them cannot be uploaded using the automatic install with Umbraco. We will have to wait for a new version comes up and hope they fix it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft