Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jul 08, 2016 @ 21:32
    Connie DeCinko

What search engine is under the covers?

Is Umbraco 7.x still using Examine/Lucene.Net for searching? Lucene.Net hasn't been upgraded in nearly 4 years and is missing many features our users come to expect. Just like Google, they expect a search engine to auto suggest, correct their spelling and take them by the hand to the content they were actually looking for.

Will we see any changes or improvements in the area of site search and/or being able to search indexed database content in our sites?

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 07:34
    David Peck

It still uses Examine. Examine 2 is coming in V8 I believe. Personally I prefer to use Examine for internal uses such as filtering news listings, and for a full site search I use Google's Custom Search Engine. That works really well as long as you have a popular enough site that Google crawls it regularly.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 14:56
    Connie DeCinko

What about for database searching? My current issue is a free form search of members. A user can enter a last name or a first and last name or a company name and possibly a misspelling of those names. Also need to find similar names, like Brian and Bryan. Examine's fuzzy search works in some cases while the same fuzziness setting for one name comes back empty, for another it comes back with too many results. Just cannot find a happy medium of just right. I wonder if Examine 2 is any better. I tried Soundex in SQL Server but unless I do a Soundex against every field... just didn't seem to work like I would expect.

• Mac McDell 73 posts 148 karma points
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 16:21
    Mac McDell

Couldn't you just plug in something like jqueryui for the type ahead and hit the results from your examine query? I understand your issue with the fuzziness and don't have a solution or idea behind that other than to add 'weight' as defined by user... ie.. something that builds a result list based on actual user clicks.

The dirty version is just to use something like https://jqueryui.com/autocomplete/

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 19:57
    David Peck

Other than caching the list of members and writing your own fuzzy logic, I think you're stuck with trying to get your query right to get the right results. Have you tried Luke to help you work directly with a raw Lucene query? That might help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft