Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Yoeri Van de Moortel 7 posts 81 karma points
    Jul 08, 2016 @ 12:18
    Yoeri Van de Moortel

Hi, we are planning to create two new websites using umbraco (first experience with umbraco).

One site needs to be presented in two languages, dutch and french ... structure and content are all the same. The other site is single-language. Both sites have some shared content (one language obviously).

Would you recommend creating the multilanguage functionality through Vorto or contentnode duplication?

When choosing the latter, can I automatically copy newly created nodes to the orther language?

kind regards Yoeri

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 07:40
    David Peck

I'm sure things are more complicated than this but I reckon Vorto is the way to go when it is a straight like for like translation. However if you're going to have more than the odd exception to an exact copy (e.g. extra pages or section) then you'll need to go with separate sites. Additionally it's worth considering if you need to retain the option of having differences.

If you have to start making some pages visible for 1 language or another, then while it is quite possible it can get complicated quickly.

• Mohammed BOUTEBEL 64 posts 103 karma points
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 08:17
    Mohammed BOUTEBEL

Hello Yoeri.

Keep in mind with Vorto that you don't have a simple mecanism to translate URLs. So if you want a multi-language website with localized URLs, the best way is to duplicate the content nodes. And you'll have more possibilities, like exclusive pages for a language, etc.

About duplicating automatically nodes, there is a way to do it programmatically, but you need a way to know where the clone will be created, or you create it under a special node, then you move it under the right node.

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 09:02
    David Peck

Good point. You could resolve this with an IContentFinder of course, but I prefer the path of least resistance in most cases.

Jul 13, 2016 @ 08:32
    Yoeri Van de Moortel

When creating a new language tree, we copy the entire content relating each of the original nodes to the copied ones (relation alias is 'relateOnDocumentCopy). When creating a new node in one language, I can take the corresponding parent in the other language (child of the relation) and copy the node under that content-node ... why use contentFinders?

var parentRelations = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.RelationService.GetByParentId(savedEntity.ParentId);
            foreach (var relation in parentRelations)
            {
                if(relation.RelationType.Alias == "relateDocumentOnCopy")
                {
                    // Copy node to relation.childID 
                }
            }

EDIT : Just tested, works like a charm ... I only have to add some handling when adding in the other language (reverse relation).

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 09:06
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

If you want a good example project you should check the 1-1 multilingual example I created. It uses Vorto and also has a UrlProvider and ContentFinder to change the URLs for each language.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/1-1-multilingual-example/

Jeroen

Jul 12, 2016 @ 05:53
    Yoeri Van de Moortel

Hi Jeroen,

Looks interesting ;-)

I've setup a sample with vorto and mixed content, I find it quite cumbersome to get it running while copying content nodes is quite ... well, straightforward :-D Is it possible to stay on-page when switching languages?

As for now, i just don't know yet which way to go ... it's a belgian site (www.bankvanbreda.be) so I'm quite sure the french and dutch content will stay the same.

Y.

Jul 12, 2016 @ 13:15
    Yoeri Van de Moortel

Okay, I took a few moments to look at both content duplication and Vorto.

As for our public sites, my gut feeling tells me to duplicate the content for a few reasons. Most importantly: simplicity ... and not sure if tboth sites will stay 100% equal.

The Translator functionality built into umbraco is "broken" when using Vorto. When creating a task for a translator, the value in the xml contains the json structure of how vorto handles the translations rendering this functionality completely useless. The company I'm working for will probably use this kind of functionality because all translations are outsourced.

Other motivations ... switching languages is easier, localized URLs without having to provide an extra url-field,, easier setup, uncluttered UI. The last point can be resolved by grouping translatable fields in Nested Content but this involves creating another level of extra document types.

As for auto-duplication of new content ... let's call that a challenge ;-)

Thanks for the help!

Jul 12, 2016 @ 13:32
    Jeroen Breuer

Good choice!

Only use Vorto if you really need 1-1 multilingual. If a separate tree for each language is possible you should definitely do it. Umbraco has much better support for it and you don't need to hassle with ContentFinders and UrlProviders.

Jeroen

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 06, 2017 @ 18:49
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi all

Do you have the same opinion right now? With newest Umbraco Cloud solution would you choose content duplication or Vorto?

Thanks,

Alex

Sep 06, 2017 @ 19:20
    Jeroen Breuer

It depends on your needs. Umbraco Cloud also has perfect Vorto support. So you can use both methods.

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft