Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Henrik Jensen 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 10, 2016 @ 21:11
    Henrik Jensen

Umbraco development on a mac

Hi everybody,

I'd like to know if anyone has had success in setting up an Umbraco development environment on a mac (without bootcamp or virtual machines).

Or, if anyone can point me to a guide that covers all the different installation/configuration aspects from ASP.Net or Mono over IDE (Xamarin?) to database server (MySQL / Postgresql?) and web server (Apache / Nginx?), that would be just excellent :)

My Mac is currently running OS X Mavericks

Thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 11, 2016 @ 08:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Henrik

I can't recall having heard or seen anyone running an Umbraco development environment on a mac without using either bootcap or virtual machines - So I'm not sure anyone is currently running a sucesfull setup without it.

But in the future once ASP.NET vNext (Or whatever it's called these day) there might be a chance to be OS independent. Don't know how far out in the future that might be though.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Jun 11, 2016 @ 22:34
    Jon R. Humphrey

Henrik,

While I know this isn't a solution but I remember Neils and Per showing us the ability to develop in Visual Studio Code on a Mac at the UK Umbracofest 2015, but this was presented as a feature of Umbraco as a Service and I'm not sure what you, personally, would need to replicate that setup in your local development environment?

I know it has to do mainly with the fact that the Umbraco instance isn't running locally and you commit all your changes via git to the remote server running UaaS so the platform you're typing on doesn't really matter as long as you can support the dependencies!

I'm currently investigating setting up something similar here, as my local development environment, since I have a "remote" server I can use to host the instances - but I will also be using UaaS to manage my company website as it's a brilliant tool!

I'll keep you posted on my findings, I'd love to hear your ideas!

Cheers, Jon

• Marcin Zajkowski 112 posts 585 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 12, 2016 @ 00:38
    Marcin Zajkowski

Hi Henrik,

on my long list "things to play with" I've Docker (https://www.docker.com/) and configuration of container to play with Umbraco. From my knowledge it might be possible (in limited way), as no all packages and tools are pulled from NuGet (yet) and containers mostly rely on that. Definitely worth to check!

Another way is to configure a CI/CD process connected with code repository and performing deploys to DEV server on each push / tag / whatever in specific branch. Not so elegant way to work in long distance IMO, but sometimes we use it to enable our frontend devs to test theirs solutions directly on working copies of Umbraco websites (they are working from Macs usually). Then you can use VS Code which has syntax highlighting and basic intellisense built-in. Both solutions above rely on shared database.

Personally, I'm using Parallels to share my machine between two OS when I'm working from Macbook. With some tweaks and configurations it's pretty usable. Glad to get know about other new possibilities! :)

• Henrik Jensen 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 13, 2016 @ 13:16
    Henrik Jensen

Thanks for all your input.

I was hoping for something that was well-tested and more or less complete...

I was at the Codegarden a couple of years ago where one of the talks was about getting Umbraco up and running under Linux. I haven't been using Umbraco in the meantime, but now that I was getting back, I simply hoped that this had become a more normal scenario, and that Mac OS would also be supported to some extent...

Well, I guess not... But I'll keep my eyes open and maybe play around with some of the options :-)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 13, 2016 @ 14:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Henrik

Well, as I mentioned once .Net vNext is ready (Whenever that is going to happen) then it might become a real scenario to be platform independent if HQ implements the stuff that makes it possible :) - So for now, in my humble opinion, I'd say that you currently will need the virtualization software...that's what all the cool Umbraco-Mac-Kids are doing these day I believe :D

But happy you're back on Umbraco development. Enjoy!

/Jan

• Jack Lawry 23 posts 146 karma points c-trib
    Aug 04, 2016 @ 16:07
    Jack Lawry

Hi Henrik,

If it helps I run OS X with a copy of virtual box to run a copy of Windows. You can then setup IIS and a share on the Windows part and once connected to that share edit the files directly on the Mac.

Although it would be great to use vNext to run Umbraco directly on a Mac.

Thanks, Jack

• Domenic 42 posts 128 karma points
    Feb 14, 2017 @ 19:31
    Domenic

Same here

• Christian Thillemann 8 posts 73 karma points c-trib
    Dec 07, 2016 @ 09:50
    Christian Thillemann

Hey

I jist saw a presentation on docker from the uk-fest, if it has any Interest.

Umbraco UK Festival - Naeem Sarfraz

slides

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft