Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Veksler 81 posts 166 karma points
    May 31, 2016 @ 21:38
    David Veksler

Cannot move Document Types

I can't move or copy document types to another folder. The "Document Types" dropdown is empty.

This is Umbraco 7.4.3.

enter image description here

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 31, 2016 @ 22:48
    Paul Seal

This is because you haven't created any document type folders yet. They go under document types. You can create one by clicking on the 3 dots next to document types like when you want to create a new document type but instead just choose folder. Then you will be able to move the doc types to these folders you create.

Jun 01, 2016 @ 05:38
    David Veksler

I do have folders - they are just collapsed in the screenshot:

enter image description here

Jun 01, 2016 @ 05:46
    Paul Seal

Hi David I don't see any folders in that screenshot. It looks like you just have document types as children of document types.

Jun 01, 2016 @ 05:54
    David Veksler

OK, I understand now.

I did not realize I could organize document types in folders. I thought I had to use inheritance to do that.

Let me rephrase my question:

Is it possible to copy a document type without losing the association with the parent document?

Jun 01, 2016 @ 05:57
    David Veksler

Also: is there any way to move my child document types to root level?
    I've been incorrectly using parent document types all along and I want to switch to folders where possible.

Jun 01, 2016 @ 06:30
    Paul Seal

The new way Umbraco handles document types is a lot better than it used to be. You could create folders and have individual document types that don't inherit from each other. Then in the document types you can click on compositions and choose the document types that you want this one to inherit the properties from.

If you need to change your document types it will break your content so you need to unpublish your content and possibly delete it, I'm not too sure.

Then I would suggest you follow do what I said in the first paragraph to structure your document types.

• Siavash Mortazavi 24 posts 145 karma points
    Sep 30, 2016 @ 15:02
    Siavash Mortazavi

Hi Paul,

I think In this case, the new Umbraco had to remove the capability of creating hierarchical doc types, and replace it with composition. I was thinking that the hierarchy may still work well, so I have created doc types with parents. Now I want to move a parent with all it's children to another parent, and it's a pain in the butt.

Some people suggest the database way to do it, which is tricky and is time consuming. Some others recommend the export/import method, which cannot include the children doc types.

Jun 01, 2016 @ 18:19
    David Veksler

Thanks Paul.

I figured out that removing the Master element from the exported document type removes the inheritance.

The issue I have is that Umbraco 7.4 switched from an inheritance to a composition model, but provides no way to migrate existing nodes.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft