Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Melinda 5 posts 75 karma points
    May 25, 2016 @ 13:20
    Melinda

Hello to everyone! I am a real newbie in web development and I have to work on Umbraco. I know a little about CMS, so never experienced on WordPress, Joomla! or whatever... :( Now, I would like to start learning about Umbraco using it through Visual Studio (2013 is the latest version I got) and try to learn ASP.NET at the same time. I began working in Umbraco dashboard with a blank install, but after creating a masterpage I got lost. So, I would like to have anything undercontrol with VS2013, understand how to work on it and try to start again.

Anyone could help me to start with a project? >.<

Thank you so much in advance! M.

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 25, 2016 @ 16:13
    Paul Seal

Hi Melinda I wrote an article recently to help you install Umbraco using Visual Studio, IIS and SQL Server.

Hopefully it will help you.

http://www.codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-install-umbraco-using-visual-studio-nuget-iis-and-sql-server/

Paul

May 26, 2016 @ 13:48
    Melinda

Hi Paul, thank you so much for your article! Now I set Umbraco on VS2013 correctly, but I still have a doubt: where do I find there the content (eg. starter pack pages, masterpages, etc.)? I just see some content going away when I stop debugging.

Thank you again M.

May 28, 2016 @ 08:52
    Paul Seal

Hi, you are welcome. You can install their starter kit by going to Developer > Packages > Install starter kit.

May 30, 2016 @ 07:30
    Melinda

Hi Paul, I got it but actually I can't see the starter kit content from Visual Studio and I am not sure if I will be able to create my new content in it. Do you know which folder on VS correspond to Umbraco section?

Sorry for this :(

May 30, 2016 @ 07:36
    Paul Seal

Hi Melinda I'm not on my pc at the moment so I can't check. But you should find it in the views folder and partials folder within the views folder. If not it may be in the app plugins folder. Also make sure you have the option selected for displaying all files in solution explorer in visual studio.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 25, 2016 @ 16:29
    Nicholas Westby

This is a good way to learn Umbraco: https://github.com/kgiszewski/LearnUmbraco7

I would also recommend reading a book on ASP.NET MVC: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-ASP-NET-MVC-Adam-Freeman/dp/1430242361

You mentioned user controls, but if you are just learning I'd recommend staying away from those. User controls are part of ASP.NET Web Forms, but most developers prefer ASP.NET MVC. The MVC equivalent of a user control is a partial view.

You might also consider installing a starter kit when you run your Umbraco installer. That will give you some good sample code to learn from.

• David Hoffman 6 posts 76 karma points
    May 26, 2016 @ 13:59
    David Hoffman

Paul, that article looks great. Having already wrestled with some of those issues, I plan to read every one of your words carefully. Thanks.

May 28, 2016 @ 08:54
    Paul Seal

No worries David. I just wanted to get the process written down, to help my colleagues and my readers. Also if it has been a while between installations, it will be a good reminder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft