Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    May 04, 2016 @ 08:39
    Manish

Scheduled publishing is not working

I am using version 7.3.0 of umbraco. I scheduled a page to be published in future time. But this does not seems working. What am i missing ?

Thanks Manish

May 04, 2016 @ 10:26
    Manish

I tried this on my local environment and it is working fine but not on server

May 06, 2016 @ 06:19
    Manish

Is there any-one who is facing same issue. scheduled publishing works fine on local environment but not on server. There is nothing in log for this.Anybody please help

Manish

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2016 @ 06:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Manish

I'm wondering if perhaps the site is not visited enough to keep the app pool alive so the publish will happen? But since you're doing things in the backoffice it should be alive...but if I'm not mistaken then the thing that can make this function unreliable is if the site goes into "sleep" mode because it does not have many visits. Then the task is not run if the site is first having visits after the publish time was set for instance.

Is the the local environment and the site on the server setup identically? Wondering if the issue you're facing right now on the server could be related to insufficient permissions perhaps? Maybe try giving the everyone role full access just for testing purposes and then try to schedule a publish again and see if it works now? If so then you need to have a look at the permission settings I think.

Or what about the server time? Is it the same as on your local machine? Or is it behind or different for some reason?

/Jan

May 06, 2016 @ 07:13
    Manish

Hi Jan

1. I have the same copy of local on server
    2. I have set the permission 'Everyone' from IIS for production server.
    3. Set the user permission as administrator from cms.
    4. Server time is not same as local but it is not allowing me to publish node if i schedule something for future date, I can only publish after schedule time.

Is there anything i am missing here.

Manish

May 06, 2016 @ 09:22
    Manish

enter image description here

And one more thing date remain there in text box even after schedule time passed. this is happening on server whereas on local environment it cleared after publishing the page on schedule time.

May 06, 2016 @ 10:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Manish

What is the culture on your local machine? And what is the culture on the server? Perhaps it has to do with culture settings somehow? I'm afraid that I'm otherwise a bit clueless :-/

/Jan

May 06, 2016 @ 10:34
    Manish

Hi Jan

1. Culture on my local - English(India)
    2. Culture on server - English(United Kingdom)

and scheduled date never cleared from text box as i added a screen shot above for server.

• Sanjay Sen 33 posts 97 karma points
    May 12, 2016 @ 13:08
    Sanjay Sen

Hi All,

We are also having the exact same issue, only difference is we are on Azure environment. Website and Database both are setup on Azure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Sanjay

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jun 01, 2016 @ 15:49
    Connie DeCinko

Same issue, the date never clears, the page never publishes or unpublishes. Dates on servers are correct. Other scheduled task runs.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jun 03, 2016 @ 14:48
    Connie DeCinko

Is anyone at Umbraco HQ aware or even care about his critical issue? This has been broken for nearly 5 years if not more! Frequent posts in the forums, bug reports in the tracker, all seem to be ignored by HQ. Why? Just because it has no effect on hosted customers? I appreciate the other users who have chimed in with suggestions but so far, where is the solution? Where is someone from HQ showing they are working toward a solution?

Jun 03, 2016 @ 15:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Connie

I get that you feel very frustrated about this issue - And indeed it's annoying that the feature is there if it's not working.

Now, I can't remember the versions of Umbraco where you're having the issues but as I have said in various different posts where I have tried to help people making this work this features has a history of unfortunately being working / not working between revisions. However the past couple of times I have been trying to replicate the errors people have been describing taking the time to install the exact version of Umbraco that they have been using I have not been able to re-create the issue in my setup. So I guess this is one of these issues where there are many factors and scenario in play, which can mean the difference about whether the scheduled publish/unpulish does work or not.

The issue can be with Umbraco but it can perhaps also be with the server-setup or with the amount of traffic the site has. If it's a low-traffic site I think that the application pool will go to "sleep mode", which mean that it's first started when a request to the site is being made (The way I have understood it) - And if the application pool is asleep when a scheduled publish/unpublish was meant to run...well...then it's not run unfortunately. But how is Umbraco going to deal with that? That's not a scenario, which is controllable for the HQ guys for instance. There can probably be many other variations Umbraco can't cover.

HQ might not be aware of this issue if it's not filed on the issue tracker. It's been while since I checked it myself but if there is no issue filed, then they won't know about it of course. And if there are issues maybe it's a good idea to add some constructive comments with as much detailed information about your scenarios etc. as you can so the guys have a chance of figuring out whether it's due to an Umbraco bug or perhaps suggest how you can try to work around it. But since they're busy there is of course no guarantee that they have the time to prioritize it even though the feature is important to some Umbraco users.

There is of course also the option to conclude that for some reason this feature does not work and that you have always experienced the issue during the past 5 years, which indeed is a long time and very frustrating, I get that, but then perhaps it's time to think of another approach to deal with scheduled publishing. Perhaps it could be an option to simply make a field where a "visible date" is being set and make sure that the pages are not rendered untill that date is met - This approach of course has the downside that the node will be published in the cache and if someone is clever enough they will be able to access the page before they were intended to do. So perhaps it would be possible to setup a scheduled task on the server (Not Umbraco) triggering a service build using Umbraco's content service API, which will then publish the nodes with the visible date set if the criteria is met - This has the benefit that the nodes will not be visible untill the date criteria is met...But it takes some custom development, which is frustrating when the feature in Umbraco should already be working.

Perhaps you or more members of the community could join forces and try to dig into the source code and see if you can figure out what the bug might be and then do a pull request if it's something that is fixable in the core - I think that the HQ and the community would be very happy with that in general. If I had the required skills myself I would be happy to contribute...But since I'm a frontend developer I don't think I should start to mess too much around with .NET and C# :-/.

As I said earlier in the latest releases I have not been able to reproduce the issues of nodes not being published on the selected time so I'm of course puzzled what it is that makes it not work in your situation (Sorry have not read all the posts you have written about the issues you have been having - Just noticed you have been posting about it in various places on the forum lately) - Have you been experiencing the issue on v7.2+ installations?

Perhaps the option of buying support from Umbraco HQ will be the way forward with this? You can learn more about the prices at http://umbraco.com/products-and-support - I know it can seem expensive but afterall they're giving away the CMS for free and they have to make their income in other ways of course and with a limited amount of resources they need to prioritize their time.

All the best,

Jan

• Trey 14 posts 108 karma points
    Sep 02, 2016 @ 00:42
    Trey

We have been experiencing issues with scheduled publishes on our non-local sites. I stumbled across this in the umbraco log:

System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending     the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
     at System.Net.TlsStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
     at System.Net.PooledStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
     at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeadersCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
     at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult     asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
     at   System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetRequestStreamCallback(IAsyncRes ult ar)
     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
     at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.<PerformRunAsync>d__5.MoveNext()

We are hosted on an azure web app with the umbraco "useSSL" setting on. We have an SSL cert for our domain (a custom domain brought in, not the .azurewebsites.net domain backed by microsoft's cert).

I suspect that our cert is not configured properly as we have had problems with it not being accepted readily.

I'm not sure if you have a similar environment, but I would be interested to see what others think of this error message.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft