Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham Carr 277 posts 389 karma points
    Apr 29, 2016 @ 13:24
    Graham Carr

Publish/Unpublish not working

We are experiencing an issue with one of our live websites in that the publish/unpublish functionality has suddenly stopped working.

I have checked the logs and am unable to see anything in there that might give a hint as to why this isn't working.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the issue might be or have ideas about how I can find out what is causing the issue?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 29, 2016 @ 15:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Graham

That indeed is odd - What is the exact version of Umbraco 7 being used?

Have you checked that permissions have not been messed up for some weird reason? Also...has any caching been applied, which could perhaps be doing it's job a tad too well?

What changes has been made to the proejct / server just before things started to act up?

/Jan

May 03, 2016 @ 08:20
    Graham Carr

Hi Jan,

Many thanks for the reply. I indeed think it is odd as I have built many Umbraco websites and have never experienced an issue with the automated Publish/Unpublish.

The website works fine locally and within the staging environment however has stopped working on the live website. I don't have full control over the server so it is hard for me to see certain areas so that is why I was asking for ideas I can check myself and ask the client to check on the server. The website works perfectly fine other than this issue.

The version of Umbraco is 7.4.1 assembly: 1.0.5891.23238

There is no caching running that I am aware of and the permissions all look to be set correctly, additionally no changes were made to the server or project before it started to act up.

Are you able to tell me how the automated publish/unpublish functionality works. Is a specific URL called to run the task or is this all done internally on some form of timer?

Graham

May 03, 2016 @ 14:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Graham

This is going to be a short reply since I'm answering from my phone since I don't have a computer nearby and using the phone for longer replies is killing me - my fingers keep hitting the wrong keys :-)

But from what you're describing I think it's worth investigating if it might be this issue you're struggling with http://issues.umbraco.org/issueMobile/U4-6338 - it's a server bug, which impacts Umbraco unfortunately.

Could that be it?

/Jan

May 05, 2016 @ 12:00
    Graham Carr

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I think the reason for the issue is due to proxy server settings, these were added to the web.config file by the IT department in charge of the server, if I remove the proxy settings the publish/unpublish works fine, add them back in again and it doesn't, funnily enough with the proxy settings added, the update status checker also fails to work with the message "Failed to retrieve update status".

Now I don't know that much about proxy servers and indeed the implications of using with Umbraco and how it should be setup. Is there any information out there on this. The settings that were added are similar to as follows:

<defaultProxy>
                <proxy proxyaddress="http://proxy.xxx.gov.uk:8080" bypassonlocal="true"/>
            <bypasslist>
                <add address="www.xxx.co.uk" />
                <add address="www.xxxxxx.co.uk" />
            </bypasslist>
        </defaultProxy>

The reason they added the proxy settings in their words are as follows:

My guess is that Umbraco is trying to use the proxy server to call itself, it obviously shouldn’t need to do this for local sites!

I think I tried add an exception list but it appears this is not working? Are there any best practice guides with Umbraco and proxy? Can you configure it somewhere other than in web.config? We need it to use the proxy to access remote sites (e.g. Google) Capthcha but not when it tries to call itself – I don’t know if it does this using fqdn or hostname?

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Graham

May 06, 2016 @ 10:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Graham

Ok, that is probably the reason why it act's up. I'm sorry but I don't know anything about proxy settings and why you need to have it etc. - So I'm not able to help you out on this one unfortunately.

Hopefully someone other who knows about this stuff will come across this post and be able to advice you what to do - Perhaps try tweeting with a reference to this specific reply of yours (Just use the copy link option on the post) and tweet it with the #umbraco hashtag maybe?

Hope someone is able to guide you on this one.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft