Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 94 posts 255 karma points
    Apr 28, 2016 @ 15:33
    Stephen

Umbraco not updating correctly after a save

Hi All,

OK, so to explain, I have an older site running on Umbraco 6.2.5, recently we have been having problems with it when the client updates some of the content and saves, the content is not updating on the site. The content is saving, but no change on the actual site.

There were some issues of "Oops: this document is published but is not in the cache", but that appears to have cleared up for now, but don't take this as a given, there is a good chance the client would forget to tell me if it was back.

The site is running on a single VPS installation (it's not load balanced). It's running on SQLExpress, Windows 2008 R2. 3Gb of ram.

My bosses had a 3rd party developer look at the site who said "I think it has too many nodes, Umbraco is well known for falling over with too many nodes".

So there are circa 2000 nodes in total. I have read about sites with 100,000, so I am guessing it's not that.

The app_data/umbraco.config file is circa 3mb, so not exactly massive, although a lot bigger than most of our sites.

I have done various mixes of the following:

rebuild the umbraco.config file rebuild the app_data structure Use /umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true Republishing entire branches

The other day I completely rebuilt the app_data structure, then ran /umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true. Everything was correct and up to date. The client then tried to change one thing, and that didn't update (so broken again).

Can someone please point me in the right direct for fixing this. It doesn't seem to matter which branch they try making the changes in, the whole site appears to be affected.

I don't think it is a server memory issue. There's a bit of memory free and the rest is sucked up by various caches. This is pretty much the only site I am having issues with. There is plenty of disc space.

Before someone suggest moving to Umbraco 7.x, it's not currently an option, there's some legacy code that would be unsupported on 7, which the client is currently not prepared to spend the money on getting recoded.

Please help I have lost 10's of hours, perhaps even 100's "fixing" this annoying site.

If you need more info please let me know.

Thanks

Stephen

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 28, 2016 @ 17:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

That is indeed a very frustrating issue - I'm wondering if somehow permissions on the server can have been messed up so the changes perhaps are not written to the /App_Data/umbraco.config file? Whenever changes are made is the file then updated?

Also...how about caching? Have you tried to disable it (if any) just to see if it makes any difference?

And what about the logs? Any clues in there?

/Jan

Apr 28, 2016 @ 17:57
    Stephen

Hi Jan

I'm wondering if somehow permissions on the server can have been messed up so the changes perhaps are not written to the /App_Data/umbraco.config file? Whenever changes are made is the file then updated?

I have kinda looked into that, but surely if there were a problem, it wouldn't rebuild when it is delete?? Or is that logic flawed?

Also...how about caching? Have you tried to disable it (if any) just to see if it makes any difference?

I didn't think of trying that, I will give it ago thanks.

And what about the logs? Any clues in there?

There probably are some clues, but I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a starting point. I am trying to avoid putting another 50 hours into this...

I have since found this post, which I will work my way through and see if it help too.

Thanks

Stephen

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 28, 2016 @ 18:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

Yeh, that would not make sense actually - But I would check it anyway just for good measure.

I don't think that it should take too long to search through the log - Just search through the content of today and see if anything is marked with "ERROR" - It should not be necessary to dig through all of them.

Hmm, in the last post in that thread Robbie mentions that it seems to have been a conflict with another application - Don't know if you have any such thing on your server? Or is it just the Umbraco website?

/Jan

Apr 28, 2016 @ 18:30
    Stephen

Yeh, that would not make sense actually - But I would check it anyway just for good measure.

Will do. Can't hurt right!

I don't think that it should take too long to search through the log - Just search through the content of today and see if anything is marked with "ERROR" - It should not be necessary to dig through all of them.

I'll try creating the error first then, check the logs, thanks.

Hmm, in the last post in that thread Robbie mentions that it seems to have been a conflict with another application - Don't know if you have any such thing on your server? Or is it just the Umbraco website?

I know. There actually appeared to be a number of issues, that moved the goal posts a bit, but the initials suggestions from the other community members included some stuff I have not tried, so it's worth a go I guess.

I will need to wait till later tonight before I can action any of it, it's a live site, so I can't have it down whilst I test. I will update accordingly.

Thanks for your assistance to date.

Stephen

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 28, 2016 @ 20:44
    Nicholas Westby

Just a few quick things you can try to see if they help:

• Upgrade. Upgrade to the latest 6.x (6.2.6 was just released recently): https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/626/
    • Windows Updates. Install all your Windows updates (there was a Windows bug that affected Umbraco, but it has since been fixed).
    • Funky Characters. I have seen some funky characters pasted in Umbraco that have caused it to fail in the past (e.g., Photoshop was one culprit, as whatever it used for new line characters seemed to break Umbraco when pasting text from Photoshop to Umbraco). There may be something in your log regarding funk characters.
    • Quick Log Check. Try deleting your Umbraco logs, then try to publish, then look at your logs (they should be much smaller and should only relate to the publish operation).
    • Server Self-Access. Ensure your server can access itself. For example, I have seen servers with funky load balancing and domain controller setups that made the production server inaccessible from itself. Umbraco has some things related to publishing that require the production server to have access to itself. If your site is "www.site.com", RDP into the server and run "ping www.site.com" from the command prompt to ensure it can access itself.
  • Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 29, 2016 @ 20:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

FYI the windows update you mention is described here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6338

So far, Microsoft refuses to release it as a regular update (more than half a year later) and it is only available as an optional update to be installed manually.

This also only applies to Windows 2012, so doesn't seem applicable to this issue.

Apr 29, 2016 @ 20:15
    Nicholas Westby

Thanks for the link, but are you sure that it hasn't been released via Windows Update? Shannon mentioned it was:

Update

When you say "optional", do you mean that when you go into Windows update, it is in the "recommended" updates rather than in the "important" updates?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 02, 2016 @ 07:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I haven't checked on a real server with Windows Update for a long time but this one still says optional:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3052480

This update is provided as an Optional update on Windows Update. For more information on how to run Windows Update, see How to get an update through Windows Update.

Apr 28, 2016 @ 23:03
    Stephen

Hi Guys,

OK, so I was able to access an old backup to compare config files, and I found this:

<clientCache cacheControlMode="UseMaxAge" cacheControlMaxAge="01:00:00" />

It was new. BUT it wasn't that.

So I poked at rights for a bit, and played with log files. It's getting late so forgive me for missing the obvious, It was a bit of a can't see the wood for the trees...

2016-04-28 19:47:00,396 [6] ERROR umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider - [Thread 24] Error adding node 3233 to SiteMapProvider in loadNodes() System.InvalidOperationException: Multiple nodes with the same URL '/xxxxxxx/' were found. XmlSiteMapProvider requires that sitemap nodes have unique URLs. at System.Web.StaticSiteMapProvider.AddNode(SiteMapNode node, SiteMapNode parentNode)

So I don't know how, or at exactly what point, but pages with the same URL have been added to the tree. There were around 30 of them, so using name ('/xxxxxxx/') if checked for multiple instances and deleted the required so only a single one remained.

The scary thing was is was also referring to duplicates for '/'...BUT once I deleted the rest of them, that went away. It was also having problems adding the root node to "SiteMapProvider", thankfully that went away too.

So assuming this doesn't re-appear in the next 24 hours (fingers crossed), that was the mystery problem. Duplicate URLs. I can only guess this happened as a result of some other previous corruption, which then got fixed, leaving dupes.

Hope this helps someone else. Shame I didn't got to the logs earlier, but initial findings did suggest other problems (he says trying not to look the fool).

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Does look at the logs deserve a high 5?? Lol.

Keep up the good work.

Stephen

Apr 29, 2016 @ 00:18
    Nicholas Westby

Apparently, you can remove that UmbracoSiteMapProvider from your web.config: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1950

Example here: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/commit/3921b0974eec00ffe5ca7c8c89dd405aeb793cec

Apr 29, 2016 @ 18:31
    Stephen

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for that, but the site appears to be working now, so I am going to leave it alone.

Thanks

Stephen

Apr 29, 2016 @ 18:38
    Nicholas Westby

Cool. FYI, if somebody creates these duplicate nodes again, it could lead to problems in the future. Just something to keep in mind.

Apr 30, 2016 @ 21:57
    Stephen

Hi Nicholas,

So how would it help if I removed that.

Duplicate URL's would still be a problem right? (and so they should be)

I know it's a legacy thing, but to he 100% honest I am not sure what it is doing, or why I would or would not want it.

If it helps me to identify when there are duplicate URL's surely that's a good thing, no?

Thanks

Stephen

May 01, 2016 @ 00:55
    Nicholas Westby

My guess is it can be used to generate an XML sitemap. Most Umbraco installs I've come across use some custom way to generate the XML sitemap, so I would guess you don't need it.

Also, I'm not sure if the duplicate URL's were causing your issue, or if it was the sitemap provider that was causing your issue (because it doesn't like duplicate URL's).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft