Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mario Lopez 168 posts 952 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 00:36
    Mario Lopez

Unable to connect to LocalDB

I am trying to install a new Umbraco project over a LocalDb and I can't make it work. I can connect with Management Studio to (LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB but Umbraco refuse to connect. I have tried entering the connecion string like:

Data Source=(localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB;Initial Catalog=myDB;Integrated Security=True

But it can't connect either. Does Umbraco support LocalDB at all?

• Mario Lopez 168 posts 952 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 02:34
    Mario Lopez

I found the problem. I leave the solution here for future reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlexpress/2011/12/08/using-localdb-with-full-iis-part-1-user-profile/

The problem is that I'm using IIS and LocalDB does not have access to IIS.

Apparently IIS runs as private service so it needs to configure a User Profile to give access to LocalDB.

That links provides the steps to follow to create this profile.

BTW, using IIS Express with LocalDB works straight away.

• Aaron 22 posts 93 karma points
    Mar 23, 2017 @ 11:52
    Aaron

I'm trying to do the same thing.

I followed the msdn blog to the letter and tried both the 1st and 2nd options in the second blog.

Umbraco refuses to install either way, this is driving me mad.

From the log:

Umbraco.Core.Persistence.DbConnectionExtensions - Configured database is reporting as not being available! DataSource: (localdb)\v11.0, InitialCatalog: MyDB. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 50 - Local Database Runtime error occurred. Error occurred during LocalDB instance startup: SQL Server process failed to start.

• Aaron 22 posts 93 karma points
    Mar 23, 2017 @ 12:40
    Aaron

This problem appears to be due to the physical location of the database.

The above error occurred when trying to include the database as part of the solution in the /app_data folder.

If I let VS2015 set the default create database location it then worked using the '2nd approach' in the second blog.

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\MSSQLLocalDB\MyDB.mdf

I don't understand why the first case would not work, TIA if anyone can shed light there.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft