Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Poornima Nayar 106 posts 276 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 16:39
    Poornima Nayar

Custom Property Editors with Courier

Hi,

I have two dropdownlists which gets their data from a database table. Can such a custom property editor be handled by Courier? I am creating this as a property editor as I need only certain user types in Umbraco to be able to see them on the page.

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 17:46
    Paul Sterling

You can create a custom resolver - where your custom logic to handle the sync of your custom database table(s) will happen. See these (rather old) docs: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Add-ons/UmbracoCourier/Developer/DataResolvers and also some examples of other custom resolvers https://github.com/display/Umbraco-courier-providers .

Some users have taken a different approach when it comes to database tables in particular - rather than using a data resolver they use a sort of custom migration that adds a startup event handler that checks for the table and data and creates/updates the data as needed on startup. Of course, there are some tradeoffs with this approach in that you, potentially, can slow the app start up.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Feb 03, 2016 @ 07:18
    Per Ploug

Courier can handle custom editors, but the real question is, do you need to resolve / change its value during deployment?

The really depends on what kind of data you store in the editor. If you store a key that changes between environments then yes, you need a resolver to change that value. If the value is the same on all your environments, then you dont have to do anything, courier will transfer the value.

In your case, with the custom table, courier does not handle deploying the entire table, I would recommend you do that separately, using the standard ways of deploying sql data.

Feb 03, 2016 @ 09:19
    Poornima Nayar

Exactly the answers I was looking for Per and Paul. Much appreciated. Also write an own resolver is the full version of Courier required.

Poornima

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Feb 04, 2016 @ 10:17
    Per Ploug

Nope, you can just use the express version for that

Feb 04, 2016 @ 10:18
    Poornima Nayar

Thanks Per, I also see that a version of Courier was released last week. Do you have any release notes for the same?

Poornima

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft