Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben 6 posts 26 karma points
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 11:28
    Ben

Courier crashing on Umbraco v6 as it cannot find the default database provider

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? 

"Could not find the default database provider, please ensure you have all the required DLL's in /bin, and that courier loaded successfully"

{Umbraco.Courier.Core.ProviderException: Could not find the default database provider, please ensure you have all the required DLL's in /bin, and that courier loaded successfully. To debug, turn on debugmode in /config/courier.confg, and examine the /app_data/courier/logs error log files
       at Umbraco.Courier.Core.PersistenceManager.get_Default()
       at Umbraco.Courier.Core.ItemProvider.get_DatabasePersistence()
       at Umbraco.Courier.ItemProviders.DocumentItemProvider.AvailableSystemItems()
       at Umbraco.Courier.UI.Webservices.TreeData.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)}

I have this with both Courier_2.7.8.35.v6 and Courier_2.7.8.43.v6. The frustrating thing is that last week before I rebuilt the installation I had this working with only occasional crashes. It would sort itself out if you forced it to reload everything with a web.config change. Now it just stays broken whatever I try. 

Is this a known issue? 

And no, there's nothing useful in the debug file.

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 22:15
    Paul Sterling

@Ben 

According to the error message you are actually missing some files.  Download the hotfix for the version you are using and compare with what you have in your site's /bin/ folder...adding any that are missing.

-Paul

• Ed Bishop 53 posts 203 karma points
    Apr 27, 2015 @ 10:53
    Ed Bishop

Hi Ben,

I am having this exact issue and I have tried everyhting including decompiling and debugging Courier and I cannot understand why it cannot load the provider. Did you get any further with this?

Ed

Apr 27, 2015 @ 18:55
    Paul Sterling

@Ed

In the past this has proven to be due to missing and/or mis-matched files in your site's /bin/ folder.  So grab the 2.7.8.2.v6 hotfix from https://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-pro/umbraco-courier-2 and compare the files making sure you have exactly the same and no additional *courier* files.

• Ben 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 29, 2015 @ 20:57
    Ben

@ed no we decided that v6 wasn't fit for purpose. This kind of thing needs to be bullet proof or it's useless. We had no faith in it at all. Want to have to check every part of every publish? Thought not. Apparently v7 is much much better. We have that deployed in a limited capacity, and it's done well so far.

Apr 29, 2015 @ 21:57
    Paul Sterling

We have an RC for the latest v7 ready http://nightly.umbraco.org/UmbracoCourier/Umbraco%207/Release/  Feedback so far has been that this is running very stable and addesses open issues.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft