Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Mar 24, 2014 @ 21:16
    Mark Bowser

Courier not deploying nested media items on first try

We have an umbraco 6.1.6 site with a Courier version that claims to be "Umbraco Courier for Umbraco 6". I'm not sure where to find the exact version number.

We've been trying to get deployment of select content and media items to work. Lately, I've been testing the deployment of media. My problem comes up when I need to deploy a new media folder with new media items under it. On the first pass, the media folder is deployed, but there are no media items under it. Reloading the nodes, republishing the indexes, and touching the web.config do not cause them to show up. On the second pass, the media items show up under the correct media folder. Why does it take multiple deploys of the same revision to get the nested media items to deploy?

Here are my steps to reproduce in more detail:

1. In the media tree, create a new media folder with new media items nested under it.
    2. Create a new contour revision.
    3. Change the contents to deploy only the media folder and all of the items nested under it. Choose to deploy the selected items with no dependencies.
    4. Click the small arrow/dropdown next to "Compare and Install". Select the remote server you would like to deploy to. Courier should do a compare and list both the media folder and the nested media items in the "items in this revision".
    5. Click "Install Revision"
    6. On the remote server, you should see that the media folder deployed correctly, but the nested media items are no where to be seen.
    7. On the local server, find the revision you just deployed, and deploy it again in the exact same manner. On the remote server, you should now see that the nested media items have been deployed correctly.
    I get similar results when I do a "Transfer" to the remote server and perform the "Compare and Install" on the remote server. In both cases, I couldn't find any errors in the umbraco logs. I've sadly wiped my courier logs since I last tested, so they aren't handy at the moment. I'll be sure to post them here when I next get a chance to test this.
    Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks!

Mar 28, 2014 @ 00:34
    Mark Bowser

I just repeated this problem using the "right-click deploy" method.

1. I created a new media folder with a new media item under it.
    2. I right clicked and selected "Courier".
    3. I made sure that "Yes, transfer all children as well" was checked
    4. Courier packaged everything and reported to me that it was going to deploy the media folder as well as the media item and some dependencies.
    5. On the receiving umbraco site, the media folder was present but the media item was not in the media tree. However, the actual media folder and file was present on disk in the correct spot (/media/49113/199781_341491698050_1971377786_n.jpg). Rebuilding the indexes didn't help.
    I got a hold of the logs this time. The receiving umbraco site had an entry in the log_Error.txt file. The entry was empty. It said:
    3/27/2014 4:28:41 PM; 
    That's disappointing. There was nothing interesting on the sending umbraco site's logs. Hope that helps. Anyone seen the empty error log entry before?
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 22:16
    Mark Bowser

I found a way to work around the problem.

1. I created a new media folder with a new media item under it
    2. I right clicked and selected "Courier"
    3. I unchecked "Yes, transfer all children as well" and manually checked the child node I wanted to be transferred.
    4. I clicked "Go to advanced settings"
    5. In the dropdown, I selected "Selected items only". I left the three lower checkboxes selected.
    6. I went through the rest of the process, and my parent media folder AND my media item both get deployed.

I've verified that the step that fixes the problem is step 3 listed above. The "Yes, transfer all children as well" checkbox does not work consistently. I would avoid using it and select the children manually. I believe I have seen the same issue with the content tree. In my most recent attempt to reproduce verify, courier froze in mid deploy on me... Drats. Much safer to avoid the "Yes, transfer all children as well" checkbox indeed.

• Jon Dunfee 199 posts 468 karma points
    Apr 10, 2014 @ 08:51
    Jon Dunfee

Mark, I feel your pain, I've spent countless hours on this.  The only success I've had with media items in Courier is direct selection of the media item.  If an image is used in content and you use the context menu on the document the reference will transfer but the image does not.  Don't get me started with revisions, actually look at what is being packaged; particularly in the Media section - Documents!  Something is awry and I submitted an issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/COU-55

Jun 03, 2014 @ 20:39
    Mark Bowser

I've just found that this is a problem even with content. Also, the problem only manifests when attempting to transfer grandchildren.

-Blog
        -2012 (new)
            -March (new)
                -11 (new)
                    -Test Blog Post (new)

1. If 2012 and all of its children are newly created, I right click on the Blog node and right-click deploy.
    2. Uncheck "Yes, transfer all children as well" and check each child manually.
    3. Click "Go to advanced settings"
    4. Select "Selected items only" from the dropdown
    5. Click continue over and over until content is deployed

I get a success message and courier had informed me on the last step that it was going to deploy all of the expected nodes, but when I look on my destination umbraco site, here is the structure I see:

-Blog
            -March

The grandchildren and younger are not deployed. To get them deployed, I just run through the whole process over and over until everything makes it across. Anyone figure out how to get this to work?

Jun 12, 2014 @ 18:23
    Mark Bowser

I've fixed this problem. Sadly, I'm not completely sure what fixed it. I'll have to do some testing in my free time to figure out who the culprit was. It is one of two things:

1. I updated courier from whatever version I had (2.6.?) to 2.7.?

2. When I updated courier, I let it trample some of my courier.config changes. I set, apparently, set includeparents to false. The update set it back to true.

• Colin Bowden 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 10:16
    Colin Bowden

I am experiencing similar issues. We have Umbraco v 7.1.9 and Courier 2.5 installed on a development server and a staging server. Is there no alternative that allows media newly added to content to deploy along with the containing document when using Courier ? Will this be fixed in Version 7.2.0 and the new content editor?

if a content document is updated, Courier will transfer media that has previously been embedded in that document.  However , any new media that has been uploaded using the Media Picker is not transferred : The image tag is transferred to the destination server document but it is broken because the actual image and its' containing folder were not transferred. 

There are manual workarounds but are not user-friendly :

(1) After adding media to document(s) using Media Picker , go to the Media Nav menu Item and right-click deploy each of them using courier .

(2) When deploying documents using Right Click , select the Go to Advanced Settings and specify the media under 'Add Files or Folders to Depployment'.

Jul 08, 2015 @ 19:14
    Mark Bowser

This appears to be resolved in the newer, 2015 versions of Courier for Umbraco 7. I heard that the core did a lot of work to the newer versions and tried out 2.50.1. I didn't notice any of the same nested content or media problems. Yay!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft