Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dominik 711 posts 733 karma points
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 15:27
    dominik

app_data/cache Folder

Hello,

We have just seen that the App_data/courier/cache folder is getting bigger and bigger.

As we are using TFS for source control it would be interesting if the cached files can be deleted or if we have to include these files into source control

Thanks

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 16:01
    Per Ploug

Hi Dominik

The cache folder can be deleted, it is simply used by courier to maintain cached data of recently saved items, so it doesnt have to regenerate items, if the item is not present, courier will just regenerate it if needed

/per

Jan 21, 2013 @ 16:48
    dominik

Hi Per,

is there any reason why the files are never cleaned upautomatically?

Can we keep out the App_Data Folder globally from TFS? I think it only includes temp files and folders or?

Jan 21, 2013 @ 17:29
    Per Ploug

The files arent cleaned up because they help courier run faster and are continuelly replaced when there are new items updated or added to your site, this means that courier doesnt have to perform serialization of a large amount of items and it already knows which items are different from the target

/per 

Jan 21, 2013 @ 19:06
    dominik

Hi Per,

Thanks for your quick reply. Can I keep the App_Data folder completly out from TFS? 

I think also umbraco.config will be created if its deleted or?

Jan 22, 2013 @ 13:12
    Per Ploug

yeah, as far as I know, everything in app_data will recreated on demand. But might not be the same scenario with 3rd party extensions

• Murray Roke 502 posts 965 karma points c-trib
    Nov 23, 2015 @ 22:25
    Murray Roke

App_Data should not be in Source Control, but not everything in it will be created on demand. So treat it a bit like you would a database.

for example, the access.config file saves permissions for your site (it seems crazy to me that this is stored here and not in the DB), but if you delete this you'll need to reset all your permissions.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 23, 2015 @ 23:44
    Nicholas Westby

I agree that it's silly public access permissions were being stored in the access.config file. Apparently, it has been moved to the database in the latest versions of Umbraco (supposedly, since 7.3.0, though I haven't confirmed that): http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-83

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft