Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Olund 45 posts 66 karma points
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 21:07
    Mike Olund

Deleting content with Courier

From what I've read so far, it sounds like we would have to train users to use the unpublish feature instead of the delete feature.  This is not really an ideal solution for our client's organization. There is too much room for human error.

Is there any way to modify courier so it will delete content on the production environment during extraction? A magic secret setting in courier.config maybe?

Aug 14, 2012 @ 21:16
    Mike Olund

I can probably modify the security settings for the authors so nobody has delete permissions.  But is there an easy way to add "unpublish" to the context menu?  The current location of the unpublish button is not very discoverable.  We're using Umbraco 4.8 with Courier 2.7.1, and most of the context menu packages seem to be broken with 4.8. 

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 22:18
    Paul Sterling

Hi Mike -

Courier, and some Umbraco content in general (at least by *all* users), is not designed to accomodate deletion.  Have a look over on this thread for a bit more as to why:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/courier/22500-Courier-does-not-delete-nodes

And also check out this video for a more in depth dicussion from Per:

http://codegarden11.com/sessions/day-2/slot-two/team-development-with-andor-without-courier-20.aspx

-Paul

Aug 14, 2012 @ 22:55
    Mike Olund

Thanks for responding Paul,

So what would you recommend if we actually want to delete the data?  Maybe Courier is just the wrong solution for us. 

I previously had a Team City deployment working with Umbraco 5.1 using database backups and restores.  Maybe that would be more suitable to our needs? 

Or maybe we should implement a hybrid solution where Courier is used for files and SQL backups are used for the database?

Mike

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Jul 29, 2015 @ 07:36
    Craig Cronin

Hi Mike,

I've just come across this post, don't get me wrong I know its from sometime ago but do you remember your solution?

This is a feature request currently for a work around on http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/COU-164

Craig

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 23:10
    Paul Sterling

Hi Mike -

In any case, you'll need a custom solution...be it via a custom event triggered by Courier or via the Sql method you propose.

The basic pattern, with Courier, is to log the Guids of all deleted items, then on each successfull extraction, tell Courier to delete items through the Event Queue API (check the API docs) - you still need to create your own event handler for the actual API call - then delete stuff through the native Umbraco API

So it is not impossible to do, it's just really scary and not very predictable - hence why we decided not to support it.

-Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft